Reviving an aged air conditioning system?

Has anyone here successfully revived an air conditioning system in a vehicle that has been discharged and unused for ten years?

I've long wanted to the air con working again in my SD1 Vitesse but ten years have passed since I got the car, and that's eleven years since it was discharged.

I have a spare new old stock Harrison compressor with its sealing plugs still in, and a new condensor. As to the receiver/dryer and other bits, who knows what state they are in?

Who has any horror stories or tales of surprising joy relating to restoring air conditioning?

We used the Vitesse to go to Limoux in the south of France. Two days drive each way. I wouldn't bother if the car were just for driving in the UK, but in the August heat (and with 15 cases of wine potentially cooking in the car) it's something I really want to get my teeth into before summer 2010...

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

You'll need a new receiver drier, IIRC. And it might be a problem getting the correct refrigerant. Think there is a substitute which is ok with the older type of seals etc but not so efficient. But the Rover air-con was rather over specced anyway, so should be ok.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I phoned a chap from Papworth who was recommended to me. He said something similar about the r/d, but suggested that there shouldn't be too many problems using RS24 (or whatever it's called), which is like R134a but with additives to work with older systems that used to run on R12, such as the SD1.

I'm wondering if the other (rather more fun) option would be to make a DIY Ranque-Hilsch vortex tube with an air compressor in place of the original air con compressor!

Michael

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

Right. I'm told it doesn't work quite so well but should be ok.

Nice thought - but there must be a snag otherwise it would already be used?

I reckon it's always the compressor seals which fail first. Maybe because the bearings go too. A new compressor should give at least five years trouble free use - then start leaking all over again. Mine only lasts a month or so now.

I wonder if new or recon compressors are easier to get in the US?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had my old Range Rover converted from R12 to R134a. Worked fine. Cost about £90. I should imagine the SD1 system will be very similar.

Reply to
Pete M