air conditioning system

I own a 1992 Saturn SL1. My air conditioning has gone out one me. I figured out that it was low on refrigerant and that was causing the problems, but when I tried to recharge it (R134a), the refrigerant didn't stay in the system. The pressure gauge showed no pressure, even after 3 cans! And, the low pressure hose wasn't getting cold like it should. We checked the hoses for leaks and found none. So I was wondering if it could possibly be a problem with the air compressor? Any ideas you could give me would help tremendously. Thanks

Reply to
callipygian

Even if your compressor is bad, you still should have had some kind of pressure after adding 3 cans. Obviously you have a leak. If you couldn't find it under the hood, maybe it is in the evaperator, in the dash.

James

Reply to
James1549

Well, first of all, my system has been converted to R-134a already so that's not something I have to worry about. Secondly, I knew the refrigerant was leaking out somewhere, I just kind of needed some idea on where to look, because I couldn't find any on the hoses anywhere. I just wondered about other places a leak could be found. Any ideas guys?

Reply to
callipygian

Inject some UV dye, then park it in a dark garage and use a UV light to look for the glow. It could be almost anything...an O-ring, a hose, shaft seal on the compressor, a puncture in the evaporator or condensor, etc.

Reply to
Ritz