Aligning headlamps

I am replacing my current sealed beam headlights but I don't have a nice flat surface with a wall at one end.

The high beam of one lamp is burned out. So I am thinking of the following.

Place a panel about 5' to 6' in front of the car (far enough out?) Mark the position of the focal point of the good light. Measure the distance between the lamps and mark the panel that distance across from the focal point. Remove the old lamps. Install the new lamps and align to the two focus points.

Comments please.

TIA

RF

Reply to
RF

I do it my garage... 5' exact from wall. Measure the center of your headlight from the ground... and measure it on the wall of same measurement. Then measure about 0.4" down from that center line and draw a straight line. I do this on a letter size paper so I just stick it on the wall.

That 0.4" line is the highest your low beam light should hit.

I would also do a vertical line too on that paper. Your center of headlight should also align vertically straight ahead. You eyeball this part in relation to the position of the car.

Reply to
Tiger

If you google you can find websites with details on how exactly to do it. From a practical standpoint, it's probably easier to just pay a shop to do it. With the right eqpt it's easy, accurate and takes 30 mins.

Reply to
trader4

Very few shop if any has that equipment. If you can see them working on your car... you might catching them doing the crude way.

Reply to
Tiger

Thank you Roland and Tiger.

Just what I wanted.

Have a great weekend :-)

RF

Reply to
RF

Don't know where your experience is based on, but here in NJ, I've seen shops routinely using alignment equipment.

Reply to
trader4