Aiming headlights on 1993 SC-2

I have a '93 SC-2 with flip-up headlights. I've noticed lately that I'm having trouble seeing at night, especially when it's raining out. I replaced both bulbs with Sylvania Silverstars, which helped a little. However, I'm suspecting that my headlights are just aimed too high, which is preventing a lot of the light from hitting the road and probably annoying the heck out of oncoming traffic. So, any tips on how to aim the headlights properly? I think I know how to get at the adjustment screws, but I'm just not sure how to aim them without a lot of trial and error.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
MPost

I saw a technique that was to find a wall with level ground that you could park on an back up about 20 or 30 feet straight out from the wall. measure how high the headlights are from the ground and pull the car up a foot or two from the wall with the headlights on. Measure up to where the beam seems to be the brightest(centered) and see if this is the same as how high the lamps are from the ground. If it is, mark it with tape or something and back the car up and see if the center of the beam stays where you marked it. If it goes higher or lower then you need to adjust the other way. I just saw this on a car show and haven't actually tried it myself. I have kind of watched as I backed away from a garge door and my lights seemed to stay centered. If anyone has a correction for this feel free. I'm no mechanic or headlight technician (although that would be a nice cert to add).

Reply to
Roy

Reply to
user

The Jan. Popular Mechanics Car Care section has a detailed article on doing headlamp adjustments.

Reply to
D V Brownell

All,

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up trying to adjust my headlamps today and found that even when I tightened down the adjustment screw underneath the headlight, the light wouldn't pitch down any more than it was. (I think my headlights are aimed too high right now.) I even went to the trouble to attach a laser level with a magnetic mount to the bezel used to hold the light in place and watched where the laser spot hit while I adjusted the screw. Is there another adjustment that I'm missing?

Thanks

Reply to
MPost