Any opinions on 124 4cyl and 5cyl diesel?

I'm interested in getting a 1988-1992 124 250D (turbo) or a 200D, any opinions on the two? Is the 4cyl bad news? (i don't care for lack of acceleration and power, I live in North America and we don't have autobahns nor drivers to drive on them)

What about the 230E, I think a contributor to this newsgroup said to stay away from the 4cyl gas and diesels but i might have misunderstood. Anyone out there have a 1988 250D with less than 125.000km that they want to sell me? handshaltung bitte :-)

Reply to
cp

Amongthe best cars MB ever made.

Reply to
Richard J. Sexton (At work

Maybe the 200D engine is the best MB ever made in terms of durability etc, 1 million kms is not uncommon in taxi use.

The 250D is the same engine, _lengthened_ by one cylinder, in your case plus one turbocharger.

Take in mind the 200D is _really_ slow, the

250D Turbo is _much_ faster (GERMAN cars compared, manual trans): 75 PS 200D, top speed 99 mph, 0-62.1 mph = 18 sec 126 PS 250D Turbo, 123 mph, 12.3 sec
230E was by far the most popular gasoline engine here in Germany with the W124: better performance than the 200/200E but not higher fuel consumption. The 6-cyl engines consume more fuel, especially in city driving.

Juergen W123 240D auto 72 PS top = 86 mph acc 24.7 sec ;-)

Reply to
Juergen .

Then THAT's the one I will get!

Top speed 160km/h? When people drive their porsches here they think that's fast. More than fast enough for these ruts Canadians call highways and cart runners they call drivers here.

As for being slow, is it really that slow in city driving even with the manual transmission? Any idea how it would handle in mountain driving?

Reply to
cp

Yes, acceleration, who gets faster to the next red light.

Yes, that's why I want to bring one in from Germany to Canada, but we're restricted to pre-1989

I'm sure there are some fine highways in the US, but the one's I've been on (mostly north where it's cold) are comparable to the ones in East Germany in the 80's. There's cops even in rural areas, I know of 4 people who have been thrown into jail for 7 days (or 10,000USD fine) for driving over 160km/h, on empty roads. A friend was caught going 152km/h at night on a 3 lane highway, got put in cop's car and handcuffed, told 1 more mile and he would be going to jail. Fascists.

And the drivers are crap too, regions vary

Reply to
cp

Then - if possible - look for a car built from September to December 1988, these already are 1989 modelyears: Coming as standard ex-factory are ABS and plus right-hand rear view mirror plus heated windshield washer unit (reservoir and nozzles). Plus some other things like dtronger pump for the (optional) power locking (as well as other things for gasoline cars).

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

The W124 200D came with two different horsepower ratings, 72 PS and 75 PS.

As you need a pre-1989 car it has 72 PS.

The sedan with 4- and 5-speed man trans goes 160 km/h, acceleration 0-100 kmh = 18.5 sec, with 4-speed auto trans it is 155 km/h and 20.4 secs

Although the car _is_ slow until 120 km/h it feels astonishingly fast and easy - at least compared to a 72 PS W123 240D which does better until ca. 80 km/h, but after 100 km/h definitely not only _is_ slower, but the more _feels_ slower.

In mountain driving the 200D car is _very, very_ slow.

Personally I would prefer a 250D which also was available without Turbo, in your case with 90 PS - it is faster, feels much faster than it really is and has a great engine sound. The 250D is a 200D with one added cylinder.

For a year or so I once drove an old W124 300D with

109 PS and auto trans - great 6-cyl engine, great sound, great car, but needed an overhaul after only 550.000 km. The 300D is a 200D with two added cylinders.

Kind regards from Germany

Juergen - 1982 W123 240D sedan with less than 200.000 km

Reply to
Juergen .

Oh boy, will have to check with the government to see if this is OK

ok, never mind, I getting turbo! British Columbia is ALL mountains!

Turbo it is, you know of any opas selling one? or two or three or four, i know people who want them here and it's cheapest to bring them over in fours.

:-)

ahhhhhhhhh sometimes I just stop the car, open the door and let the diesel (BENZ or VW only) music sink in!

Only 550.000 km? geee what was Mercedes thinking when they developed such a crappy engine? hi hi

I might just drop in for a visit when I'm in Hamburg! ....... Just kidding!! :-)

Thanks for all the advice and info!

cp

Reply to
cp