cheap fuels

OK we know that sainsburies do mazola cheap for diesels. Or free from the chippy! But they run a bit crap in the cold and it smells like a chip shop and you will get done! And its still a crappy deseasel. We know that kerosine as used by heating systems is 28 / 30p per litre and looks smells and burns like diesel but its fractionally thinner and may be better with say 100 to 1 cheap 2 stroke oil added for peace of mind more than anything else so you can get reasonably cheap fuel that cant be distinguished from pump fuel in an easy way.

But what if you detest the smelly old deseasel? As I do.

Well then you can use a big smooth powerful petrol engine. And get a 37p to 42p per litre LPG conversion. Well that makes conventional deseasels on pump fuel look expensive to run!

But did anyone realise that bulk propane of the 23p per litre heating variety, will work in your converted car? Its pure propane rather than the propane/butane LPG mix but thats even better! Its higher octane (and v slightly higher pressure) arrangement.

Works like this.

Buy new car. Get Subsidised LPG conversion cos its "green" allowing you to run a bigger car/engine than you otherwise could! (seems kind of counter productive to me but hey what do I know!). Get your gas central heating boiler converted to LPG so you have a good excuse (cheap! or DIY) Ger "calor" or similar competitor to install you a shiny new white1000 litre tank (free? Special deals - enquiring now) at your home. Get it filled.1000 litres = 230 squid. (200 gallons approx!) Add some fittings and a hose so that you can fill your cars LPG tank (no hurry so they can be small bore and cheap. And its easy to do... Now your high octane green fuel costs 23p a litre.

Guess what I am doing to my new Dodge with its 3.8litre V6 ...

Reply to
Burgerman

Nice idea, but be damn careful with any pipes & fittings you add to the bulk tank for filling your vehicle's tank from. The Calor guys who refill your tank are under instructions to report any 'unofficial' additions/mods to their apparatus. Not sure whether they will tell HM Customs&Excise or simply not refill your tank but....

JB

Reply to
JB

You are aware that there is an actual list of vehicles which qualify for the subsidy?

Reply to
Conor

I suppose the proper way would be, get the boiler converted, and have the car filler fitting added before the tank was fitted in the yard. Then when they fit the tank, it has always been like that. If they question it, clain "it is for my mower and generator, you don't need duty for them as they aren't road vehicles". Cover the legal and safety question, as long as you connect it a bit more securely than a couple of jubillees and half a roll of gaffer.

Reply to
Elder

You do the additions hidden from view or on the pipe inside your house. Shouldnt be a problem?

Reply to
Burgerman

Inspired by your Kero idea, I've been on the phone to a local supplier; they can supply a 500l tank for £400; they're sending my some stuff out in the post so I can have a read. They also do a 'premium' Kero which has additives in to prevent rusting etc. It'll help mainly in the storage tank but I'm sure someone mentioned problems when in the fuel system?

Reply to
Abo

You only need a small bit of braided brakeline with a simple quarter turn valve fitting to the tank. Drill and tap 1/4 bsp and fit your fittings before you get it filled. Or connect to one of the existing drain/plugged holes etc. You dont need a conventional "car filler" thats just for speed in fuel stations. We are in no hurry.

Reply to
Burgerman

No! Wheres the list!!!

Reply to
Burgerman

Premium kero? Never heard of that! Never saw a kero tank rust from the INSIDE before? I wouldnt bother.

Scan it and post it!

Reply to
Burgerman

Fair point, but I thought that the car filler had to be a liquid take-off (bottom of tank or dip-tube feed)? I could of course be talking s**te ;>)

JB

Reply to
JB

There's a spec sheet on the products drop down list at:

I've just noticed, it has a wonky colour so it's probably no good anyway...

I haven't got a scanner lol, it bust ages ago and I never replaced it because I didn't really use it...

Reply to
Abo

I actually thought they had stopped the subsidy anyway. The Powershift scheme doesn't operate anymore.

Elder

Something else: can you run C1 Kerosene, or is that what you're referring to as paraffin?

Reply to
Abo

Won't that be a bit unsubtle? Why would anybody use LPG when they've got mains gas? (it costs more afaik - you don't think that cylinder is really free, do you?). All it takes is for somebody to notice the big white cylinder where nobody running gas for heating/cooking would have one, do some sums on past and present gas bills, and you're nicked. And if you're using enough gas that the stuff you're taking for your vehicle is lost in the noise, you'll be losing on your domestic gas bill.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

It does. But tanks have drains for possible cleaning/water etc...

Reply to
Burgerman

Correct.

Only point of the powershift register now is you can avoid the London congestion charge.

An LPG Grand Voyager isn't on the list.

Reply to
Grant

I don't like the thought of bringing my car inside my house to refuel it. :-)

Reply to
ThePunisher

Dunno.

We used to use heating oil and it was 28 Sec or C2 regular for certain heating systems (whatever that means - its a redwood viscosity index. It only shows the relative viscosity at a given temperature.) same sort of stuff as Jet A jet fuel. Tractor, heating red diesel, as well as white road fuel diesel is 35 Sec. So its a little thicker or "heavier" than the kero hence the addition of a splash of oil for peace of mind.

These are both simple narrow temperature range "pure" cracks with a few addatives that dont make any difference to engines, and both seem to run just fine in tractors, my old transit etc.

Paraffin as you buy from the DIY store was as far as I was told a thinner again (but no redwood figure so who knows) mix of all the old crap left over that was OK for things with a wick, cleaning, etc. And transits will run on it (dont ask) but it smells horrible at the back! Parrafin actually smells very little compared to heating kerosine.

Reply to
Burgerman

No you misunderstand! You then connect the hose pipe and jubilee clips... Fuel it through the letterbox.

Reply to
Burgerman

I think you worry too much!

Its entirely legal to use an "alternative supply" and the golpg website encourages it.

Plus how do they know that you are not running the heat flat out, running your generator, have a leak? Plus if you get deliveries in rotation from 3 or 4 suppliers then you can show only one lot of reciepts! Plus... I get to choose why I dont buy gas from the mains. Its a free choice. But in my case they piss me off with their incorrect and estimated bills and mostly with their telephone system / call centre merry go round.

Reply to
Burgerman