headlights on all day

i have a 325is 95 and the high beams on on as soon as i turn on my car .. they are quite a bit dimmer then if i turn on my lights .. i know there suposed to be like that but i want to know how make them not come on untill i want them to.

Reply to
Kriznaft

That is called "Daytime Running Lights" or DRLs for short.

This link should help you locate the module to remove.

Fred W

I don't get how BMW can be stupid enough to use the high beams as DRLs. Turn signals, fog lights or low beams at a reduced voltage would have been much better...

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

sweet.. thanks guys ... this worked

Reply to
Kriznaft

Actually, no. The high beams at reduced intensity are the best option for two reasons.

One: They are more apt to get the attention of other drivers as they are fairly bright, even at reduced intensity. Two: If you burn one of them out (due to them being constantly on) you will not lose any of the more important light functions: signalling turns, or low beams. Don't forget, not all cars come equiped with fog lights. Having fog lights where I live is completely unnecesary as we seldom get real fog.

Reply to
Fred W

The best option is a set of lights specifically designed to be used as running lights, i.e., with the appropriate intensity and beam pattern.

Yes, they are fairly bright, and annoyingly distractive in my rear view mirror. I don't consider either of those attributes to be a feature.

This is not a justification to use the high beams as running lights, this is a reason to have a separate set of running lights.

If I remember correctly, GM made the same foolish engineering decision regarding running lights. I thought BMW knew better....

Reply to
bjn

Exactly.

They're more than fairly bright, they're way too bright to be used as DRLs.

Yup, GM likes to equip Saturns with them. Fortunately a few new BMW's have "angle eyes" DRLs. I assume this is mostly due to Audi's successful LED DRLs.

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

I'm reminded of the old joke about the schoolkid in math class who talked about 'a cute angel.'

Reply to
Dean Dark

"Angle" (sic) eyes are not DRLs. I suppose that they they take the place of "city lights" in those obscure European places that still require such, but they are most certainly NOT DRLs.

DRLs are *supposed* to be obnoxious. If they aren't getting your attention, they aren't doing what they are intended to do...

Reply to
Fred W

Please keep up. On the "older" BMW's they're used as parking lights only, but starting on the new E90 coupe they'll be used as DRLs too. And most countries in the world require parking lights, even the US, so they're not reserved for "obscure European places."

No, they're not. High beams, even at a reduced voltage, are *too* bright to be used with oncoming traffic. They're also illegal outside NA, why do you think that is..?

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

Please try to comprehend. Parking lights and city lights are two different things. Parking lights are used when the car is parked (obviously) in an attempt to keep it from being hit by passing motorists. City lights were intended to be used in lieu of headlights when operating in certain designated city limits, where the streetlights supposedly were adequate, to prevent glare to oncoming drivers. That practice is obsolete AFAIK, but the "city lights" are still sometimes found on some cars and are used as parking lights.

There are no requirements to have or use parking lights or city lights anywhere in the US that I am aware of. Having *any* lights on when a car is parked is not common practice here. What is required are "running lights" which are usually the same lamps that you might call "parking lights" except they are illuminated while driving so that other drivers can get a sense of the width of the vehicle, especially in the event of a burnt out headlamp.

High beams even at full voltage are not too bright to be used as DRLs when they are intended to be used, DURING THE DAY!!! They are run at reduced level to save the headlamps from burning out, not to decrease glare to oncoming drivers. During daylight hours your pupils are adjusted to the higher ambient light and glare from headlights is not an issue. You may be irritated by these headlights, but you know they are there, so they are accomplishing their goal. Running around during the day with just angel eyes on is akin to having no DRLs as nobody will be alerted to your presence by them.

If you're saying that you are using your DRLs at night (instead of your headlights) and that is when there is a glare problem, then you are obviously using your lights incorrectly. In most cars, when operating on DRLs there are no rear or running lights on, which is obviously against the law at night.

Do you have some evidence that high beam running lights are illegal everywhere except North America? I kind of doubt that this is true.

Reply to
Fred W

My Yamaha XTZ750 has a small bulb in the lower part of the headlight reflector, my BMW E34 with projector headlights has a bulb in the upper part of the headlight, and my Camaro has separate lights in the bumper cover (shared with the turn signal, side marker lights, and DRLs). All of these lights are what I call parking lights. You may call them whatever you want, but the point of the matter is that it's illegal to drive around with nothing but them on. Of course, the are allowed to be on in combination with the headlights, fog lights, etc.

All new passenger vehicles in the US, and Europe, must be equipped with parking lights. That's the law.

I don't know where you live, but here the weather isn't just hot and sunny. There's rain, overcast, fog, snow, etc. and in all of those situations high beam DRLs are too bright. Likewise during dusk and dawn. "Angle eye" DRLs, just like the LED DRLs on Audi's, are a great idea on the new E90 IMO.

I'm sure you do, but there's no way you can get high beam DRLs approved as DRLs in "ECE-land". IIRC the maximum light from DRLs in Europe is 800 cd, while in NA it's 7000 cd. That should tell you something...

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

i have one for all of you ... how about everyone on this planet learns how to drive better and start paying more atention to what thier doing instead of driving like asses all the time ... then we wouldnt need .. DRL's or parking lights ... or ne of the other bullshit on our cars that .. lets face it makes them look ridiculus ..

Reply to
Kriznaft

Hear, hear! Like the woman I saw get into her car yesterday who had to dial someone on her cell phone before she even started the engine! Boy I wish cells were illegal in moving vehicles.

Reply to
Bob Smitter

They are in the UK. Unless you have a proper hands free kit. But it made absolutely no difference to the numbers using them as it's not enforced. And despite them now having been around for many a year, plenty still can't multi-task with them. So the driving gets neglected.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are various levels of getting one's attention. If you really wanted to get my attention, use the highbeams undimmed as running lights.

DRLs do not have to be obnoxious, they merely have to be seen.

Reply to
bjn

Or the multi-tasker who lost control on a 2-lane road this past July. She was drinking coffee, using her computer and cell phone and eating a snack. That person hit two people on bicycles, killed one, put the other in the hospital and ruined her own life. My wife was on the same bike trip; but won't be doing that again.

Too bad.

You can't legislate common sense and what about smart people whose priorities are screwed up and just don't get it? I'd like to see devices in cars that disable the car when drivers aren't paying attention.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

Back on subject. Standards are useful and the world lacks standards. In North America front amber colored lights are most often used as DRL's and parking lights and turn signals and front marker lights, often from the same unit.

In Europe amber is typically only used for flashing turn signals, and DRL's and front marker lights (be they called city lights or parking lights, etc.), are white.

But North America mandates side reflectors and rear reflectors, amber in the front and red in the rear. This is not required or even permitted in many countries and I have even seen amber rear side reflectors in Italy.

German manufactures are the worse in North America in having eliminated amber rear turn signals to make the vehicles look more American. BMW/Mini, VW/Audi just don't care about providing this safety feature to the drivers of North America. Honda is not far behind in this trend. The irony is that Chrysler is slowly adding this feature across its line here in North America.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I don't understand. What good is getting my attention if all I do is to quit using my mirrors?

Passing isn't very safe because of your actions. Well, to be honest it's because of my reaction to your action. But your action almost mandates my reaction which puts the responsibility on your shoulders. (I'm talking about the moral responsibility since I'm not an expert in the legal field.)

BTW, I wont look into my mirrors for the same reason I wont look into the sun.

Reply to
Super Lemon

You're wrong.

Reply to