approved oils -- Flexible Service System

Does anyone have the current list of approved oils for the Flexible Service System FSS? My list is dated October 2000 and has eight oils. Only one of them, Castrol syntec 5w-50, is suitable for Wisconsin (temperatures below -4 deg. F) and is readily available.

I am told that the current list is longer.

I would like to find one oil for my three cars: MB C230, BMW 323, Toyota Prius. The prius requires 5-30 and the BMW preferred oil is 5-30. The only

5-30's on my MB approved list are Castrol TXT Softec plus and Shell Helix Ultra. I have found no source for these in the Milwaukee area.
Reply to
kennyk

I recommend 5-50 Mobil 1.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

I wasn't aware Mobil 1 came in 5-50 weight. Sure it's not 15W50?

Reply to
jav

Yikes, I think you are correct, but I don't have my oil here with me...

Sorry about the confusion. Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Mobil 1 has 5W40 labeled SUV with yellow cap. Commonly available at Wal Mart.

Reply to
Tiger

Then on what basis do you make recommendations and why should anyone listen? Just curious.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Now don't get Martin all flustered. Mobil does indeed make a 5W50 (and a 0W40)

(mobil redid their whole site aned the link to Mobil on this page is busted. I lookd for 10 minutes to find the replacement and gave up. Eejits).

I've seen 5W50 Mobil 1, but it is NOT common.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

He doesn't inspire much confidence in his 'recommendation'.

Mobil does indeed make a 5W50 (and

Indeed they do and if you check the specs you will find they meet higher performance standards than 'lesser' oils in the Mobil range. Look specifically at ACEA and mb specifications for longer drain interval oils.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

My advice is just that. I recommend mobil-one based on my research, my experience and on a VERY technical friend of mine who proved to me that it's worth the extra $ (it's a long story).

If you don't like my advice, please feel free to ignore it. There are lots of opinions here, some people like to use chainsaw oil in there mercedes vehicles...

Thanks to Richard for pulling my butt out of the fire on the 5-50 thing :~) I owe you one.

Reply to
Martin Joseph