97 Grand Prix Goes Crazy

My 1997 Grand Prix Gt has a check engine light on. My mechanic said the error code was for the mass air flow sensor. He's a good guy so when he replaced it the computer still gave him the same error code. He put the old unit in and reset the light and told me to drive it and see what happens. Well what would happen is when I would start the car it would idle very rough and try to stall. I would have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it going until I put it in drive. While it was idling rough the intake was opened all the way up and it would be sucking all kinds of air. At low speed 10-25 mph or at lights it would act up and I would have to give it extra gas or put it into 2nd gear to keep the rpms up. Yes I need to fix this problem but I am trying to keep the cost down by doing it myself. I am mechanically competant. Any ideas on how to fix the first part of my problem?

2nd Problem Last night coming home from work the car started to stall but when i shifted down to 3rd from od it dropped out of gear then I cycled through the gears and it seemed like it was picking its own gear no matter what the select shift said. Next the more gas I gave it it just smothered the engine like it was an exhaust problem. Then it would go into gear and accelerate without my foot on the gas. Then stall then drop out of drive then pickup again the speen up. It was crazy. I have never ever seen this before ever. Help
Reply to
Joe K