Blue book vs list?

If you found a Benz that was in exceptional condition (full records, no issues, etc), would you expect to pay more than the Kelley or Edmunds guide "excellent condition" price? I don't see any eBay completed sales for this model within $1k of the asking price on the model I'm looking at, but I do see lots of autotrader listings that are much higher.

Thanks for your advice, Owen

Reply to
Owen Strawn

Full records and nothing wrong with it... inspected by qualified MB dealer/mechanic (Paid)... I might consider a premium over Kelley's or Edmund's.

But not much over it. As with any car purchase, you probably will have to do some work for it to be perfect or acceptable.

Reply to
Tiger

It depends on the rarity and demand for the vehicle. For example, the

1986/87 300SDL turbodiesel has a loyal following. Most of these cars have high mileage. If someone had a 50,000 mile example in beautiful condition, it would likely sell at a substantial premium to "blue book". I've seen dealers with similar cars asking >$20,000. It's probably shooting the moon, even for a dealer, but there are people willing to pay the price.

A few months ago, I was interested in buying another 95 E320 wagon to complement the one I already own. I contacted Hatch and Sons in Wayland, MA which carries classic and low mileage MB's in exceptional condition. They had a 95 E320 wagon with about 32K miles and were asking $29,000. I thought that was a little ridiculous considering I purchased the same car with similar mileage and condition from a dealer 4 years earlier for $31,500. I ended up buying a 2001 E320 wagon with Starmark for $31,000.

Sometimes emotion overcomes reason in car buying. You have to decide how important it is to you to own a specific car.

Reply to
jav

For that price I'd expect ALL the suspension rubber to be have been replaced. If not it's going to cost you $2000 to do it. THEN it's near perfect assuming the description is accurate.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Good point... I haven't thought about this part.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks to all for the replies!

I don't think it's very rare - there are plenty of the same model listed on eBay and Autotrader. The seller has done some critical work (timing chain), but I don't think the suspension rubber.

Owen

Reply to
Owen Strawn

What does the "suspension rubber" include? My '95 E320 has 115K and I've noticed that there is some occasional thunking noises when the car bounces along down the road.

Reply to
Josh

There are many rubber suspension bushings... Your thunking noise is only a part of what Richard spoke about... he was talking about subframe bushings... etc... the stuff no one think about changing... but is necessary when car age alot.

Your thunking noise can be alot of thing... best to diagnose it right than trial method.

Reply to
Tiger

Subframe mounts, spring pads, control arm bushings, trailing arm bushings, trans mout, diff mount, sway bar bushings, driveshaft flex disk. Possibly more I've forgotten. These rubber parts age with time, not milage; a

20 year old car with 3000 miles needs them as badly as the same car with 300,000 miles.

Check your sway bar l>What does the "suspension rubber" include? My '95 E320 has 115K and I've

Reply to
Richard Sexton

How do I tell if the sway bar links need replacement? They look like the originals (115K miles).

Reply to
Josh