C220 Brakes

I noticed that when I brake during highway speeds my wheels shake indicating the rotors are warped. But it does not shake in city driving. I know brake systems pretty well and i think the reason it does this is the pads are rubbing on to the rotors heating them up causing the rotors to feel warped when I brake. The caliper sliders are sliding ok so I know thats not whats causing this. The only available pads are metallic or semi-metallic. i prefer non-metallics even if the wear faster. At least they are easy on the rotors.

Any thoughts out there to help aliviate the rubbing of the pads to the rotors?? Thanks.

Reply to
tobybul

When you step on the brake at high speed, the weight of the car also shifts onto the forawrd wheels... Sometimes something as small as tire out of balance or a front end out of alignment can also cause a vibration...

just a thought. Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Thanks, Marty. The wheels are balanced. If not, the steering wheel would shake at certain speeds. I am quite familiar with the shake-during-brake problem but this one puzzles me a bit. Usually, its caused by the zeized caliper sliders, or just plainly warped rotors. Sometimes though, rotors will warp when it stays hot too long and pressure is applied by the pads when braking. But it will not necessarily stay warped after it cools down. I just found pads online made by Textar that supposedly helps prevent this problem. I might give it a try.

I wonder if air in the brake lines would cause the pads to apply a slight pressure on the rotors. I also noticed much brake dust on the front wheels after a long trip. Maybe this is normal.

Reply to
tobybul

Shaking under braking can also mean worn bushings on lower or upper control arm (if applicable).

Normal brake pad dust alot... usually front wheel only. Unless you switched to non-OEM, then the rear can dust also. Textar makes brake pads for OEM so it is essentially same as OEM. I do not believe this will solve your problem at all.

As for air in brake line, it would make your brake pedal a bit mushy...

Sticking caliper is sticking caliper and is usually caused by dirty brake fluid swelling up the seal where the brake caliper piston slides back and forth. Another reason for sticking is because the brake piston rubber boot is missing and corrosion take on its work against the piston.

If sticking in the front, it will cause some pulling to the side if you let go of steering wheel momentarily. Usually you can physically feel one brake is hotter than otherside without touching the rotor... the amount of heat dissipated. Sometime sticking is so bad, you can see the rotor glowing.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks, Tiger! Good info. Trying to figure out if Textar is non-metallic. Also, other possible cause of shake is worn bearings. Gave it the ol' wheel wiggle test and bearings appear pretty tight. I might have to open up brakes to chk for any abnormalities. I don't think its the bushings otherwise it would shake everytime I brake - slow ot high speed.

Reply to
tobybul