My 2001 SLK came with the Voice Activated telephone/radio/cd system
including a Motorola Timeport telephone. I dropped the 'phone the other day
and now it's microphone no longer works. I can still use the Voice
Activated system so the problem is clearly with the telephone itself. The
'phone is out of warranty so now I have a number of questions:
1. Will any Timeport 'phone work in the system or is the Mercedes 'phone
specially programmed to work in the car.
2. Is there another telephone available that will work in my car?
3. If there is another compatable telephone is there an adapter that will
let me plug that telephone into the existing Timeport connection in the car?
4. If there is not an adapter, is there any reason I can't cut off the male
plug in the car and replace it with a compatable male plug for the new
6. Would it be more practical to send the original 'phone to Motorola for
7. Would it be smarter to buy a Porsche?
I've asked my dealer's Service Manager and he was uncertain about every
question I asked... except the last.