CD player problem in 1999 SLK 230

I'm experiencing a weird problem with the factory CD player & changer in my

1999 SLK 230, which I guess is a Bose setup. Suprisingly, roughly half my CD collection won't play in it. While some specific CD's will consistently play fine, no music will play on others. It's not a problem with the changer mechanism in the sense that I can switch between all six CD's without a problem if I chose the right ones. With others, selecting the third CD, for example, will cause "CD3 - Track 1" to appear on the display, but no sound will be heard, and advancing through the tracks doesn't help. All of these CD's were purchased from the store - none of them were burned on my PC (as I've discovered that burned blue/green CD's won't play at all - I get a "No CD" error). The dealer hasn't heard of this problem and wants to clean out the system. It doesn't appear to be an intermittent problem, though, and it affects only certain CD's. Maybe the newer one's are 80 min. in length or have some form of copy protection that the player doesn't like. And maybe the changer has been upgraded since then, I don't know. All I know is that all of my CD's work just fine on the factory Alpine deck in my Honda Prelude.
Reply to
Krakus