Difference between 4Matic & 300E wheel / rim?

Is there a difference in offset, bolt pattern, etc. between a 300E

4matic & standard 300 wheel rim?

Can I use a standard 300E '93 rim on a '91 4 matic?

Reply to
James

Bolt pattern of 5x112 is same on both those W124s (in fact on most late model MBs). It is the offset that you need to pay attention to. The W124's offset (ET 49mm) is stamped inside rim and should be the same on E and TE - but you should double check if you are buying new rims.

You can use different widths (in the 6.5" to 7.5" range) easily on these cars. With wider rims you can go with wider tires if you like, if the offset is appropriate.

A smaller offset moves the inside edge of the wheel outward away from the strut. e.g. going from a ET 49mm to a ET 40mm moves the rim outward by 9mm. So, if you are going with a 195 or 205 width tire, a 6." or 7." wide rim with the stock (49mm) offset is OK on both cars. If you want to use a 215 tire, you will need an offset around 40mm.

I installed the rims and tires from our '98 E320 (W210) onto our '87 300E (W124). The W210 rims are 7.5" wide with a 41mm offset - this offset moves the wheels out just enough (8mm) to provide clearance for the 215 wide tires on the 300E.

Here is a picture from TireRack that shows offset:

Hope that helps. Ask the seller of the new rims what the the rim size (e.g.

7.0x15) and the offset (e.g. ET49) and post them if you are not sure.

Scott D

Reply to
Scott D

Keep in mind, if you mount anything wider than 7.0", you have to bend the inner fender lip of the front fender in to provide clearance. Anything wider than 7.5" and you have to flare the fenders.

Scott: do you have any pics of your 300E with 7.5" wide wheels?

Mike

Reply to
Mike "Rotor" Nowak

Mike, I'll take some pics and post. No rubbing with 215 tires - I'll check the exact tire size (stock W210) and post that info too.

Scott D

Reply to
Scott D