Difficult to Replace Radiator 300CD-T?

What are the chances that I can replace my own radiator in my '82

300CD-T? I'm not incompetent, just inexperienced, and I don't have a large garage or vast array of tools, just the basics. Nevertheless, it seems like it would be much cheaper to do it myself, if I could. If it's just a matter of time, and not of skill or specialized equipment, then I'm game.
Reply to
eyeball kid

It is so easy. Two clips to pull up and the radiator is loose. I'd suggest you change the radiator hose at this time too... simply cut off the old hoses.

If I recall, you are going to change your fan clutch too... tons of room once your fan is removed.

Reply to
Tiger

Reply to
eyeball kid

Might as well replace the waterpump while you are in there :)

Reply to
me

Quite an easy job. There are two pull-up metal clips on the top. Two large hose connections and two transmission line connections on the bottom. Then one just lifts the old radiator up and out.

As others have posted, it may be wise to replace the hoses and the water pump so the whole cooling system is done for some years to come.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

Ahh... just a reminder on the transmission cooler hose... that should be replaced too as it might be original... take a look. I think new one have wire springs around it.

When removing or installing these... you need two wrenches... or one wrench and one plier. You must hold the fitting on the radiator stationary while tightening or loosening... or otherwise you might break the fitting loose and it will leak.

Reply to
Tiger

Nobody mentioned the engine oil cooler attached to the radiator!

Reply to
Karl

Ahh... only two extra hoses... no biggie.

Reply to
Tiger

Uh, those fittings are legendary for benig utter bastards to remove. They rank right up there with 108 heater cores in "oh no" factor.

As long as you have the rad out, when you get it back in flush the rest of the system. First with a cup of liquid tide to remove any oil then with citric acid to remove any rust and scale. Mercedes sells this stuff in avery stylish container or you can get it commercially as "sour salt". You use about a pound. FLush well aftr both of corse then fill with the correct coolant. Not the evil green stuff.

Reply to
Richard Sexton