It took my air mass sensor so long to come, that the thread discussing this
matter is no longer on my ISP server. So I cannot just tack my result on to
a previous message, but I did promise to let those of you who were following
this thread know the outcome.
I am happy to report that the air mass meter was the problem. I replaced it
with a new one and took the car for a drive of a few miles. I am now
getting a report of 18.2 lbs/min of air flow at about 4100 to 4500 RPM.
That's about twice what I was getting before at similar RPM's. In addition,
the long term fuel trim which was at 34.4% in the freeze frame of data when
the check engine light was triggered, dropped to 26.6% over the short trip.
After another trip of short distance, the long term trim has dropped to 16.4
and 15.6 % in banks 1 and 2.
In conclusion, putting the new part in and watching the adaptation to better
long term trim was certainly the most comforting, but for a do it
yourselfer, calculating the equivalent HP for the air flow reported gave me
the confidence to order the new air mass meter, an over $200 item.
Thanks to all who helped me along the way to under stand this complicated
To reply directly replace NOSPAM with dubosky in my email address.