240 air mass meter

Have checked the diagnostic console and it is giving a code for an Air Mass Meter problem. Looking in Haynes manual is difficult to know whether the air mass meter is the whole of that large pipe or just a part of it as the diagram is inconclusive. Could it be that the whole pipe needs cleaning or something similar? thanks.

Reply to
Beck

The AMM is a unit about 6" long that has wires plugged into it, with hose clamps on either side of it. There is the air intake box, a short length of flex pipe, then the AMM, then more flex pipe leading to the fuel injector unit. There is a 10 mm bolt holding the AMM onto the body of the car. You also should replace the air box thermostat at the same time as the AMM.

Replacing the AMM is about a 10 minute job. The air box thermostat is kind of a pain in the tuchas.

Lots of info on the Web:

?VolvoRepairManual/Section_2_5.htmhttp://www.swedishbricks.net/faq/fiairmeter.htmlhttp://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo240b23fuelinjection.htm

Reply to
Tim McNamara

Its possible its also a rogue code that has flashed up for no reason. My dad unplugged the car battery and replaced it again and the code has not come back on again today. Its going in for an MOT today gawd knows what they are going to find, we got conned by the salesman. Lets hope any fixes are minor.

Reply to
Beck

You can test the air mass meter in place with an ohmeter. I believe your Haynes manual will tell you which pins to connect to and what to expect.

In my experience, the AMM sensor code is probably not the AMM but an air leak in the big plsatic tube. Check it carefully, particularly in the ribs. A replacement tube is about $25, AMM is probably $350.

-----

Reply to
Robert Lutwak

Especially the duct between the AMM and the injection system. Air getting in there will cause problems for sure.

Reply to
Tim McNamara