E320 Power Steering

The power steering went out today on my '97 E320. It's like driving a timber wagon!! There is a flood of fluid on my garage floor. Can I drive it seven miles to the repair shop without doing further damage?

Reply to
CalifCestMoi

NO! Driving it without fluid in the power steering pump will surely ruin the pump, almost guaranteed. And now with the single serpentine belt you can't even remove the belt to idle the PS pump as one could have done in the good old days. (The single belt drives everything, including the engine's water pump.)

There's no alternative but to either fix the leak - probably a hose - in your garage or have the car towed to the repair shop.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach