E320 W210 wiper rubber

In the Uk Mercedes are no longer supplying just the rubber wiper blades. You have to buy the metal bit.

Is there any evidence that the metal bit wears out?

Reply to
Nihil

Are you sure about this?

I bought a handful of rubber inserts from Mercedes-Benz of Chichester the other day.

CW

Reply to
Christopher Wigdor

I was told by two MB Uk parts depts that MB was no longer supplying just the rubber bits. I phoned round several other MB garages and eventually found one with old stock. They were pleased to send me a couple.

So I feel sure that MB is no longer distributing them, instead forcing us to buy the metal bit.

Reply to
Nihil

Instead of constantly changing the rubber elements, you may want to consider using a rubber cleaner/rejuvenator solution on them. My 4 year old wipers still squeegee like brand new.

I use an industrial solution for transport systems in laser imagesetters that contains a mixture of xylene,alcohol, ketone. There are similar products available to the average consumer used on such things as rubber rollers in copy/fax machines, or VCR capstan rollers. (Radio Shack used to have it but I think they dropped it). Just look for rubber roller cleaner, rubber rejuvenator, capstan roller cleaner. Stores and outlets that sell supplies for electronic techs are likely to have it.

Also, cleaning rubber objects with plain isopropyl or ethyl alcohol may seem like it helps in the short term, but repeated use actually lessens the resiliency over the long term. Of course, if the rubber is already so old and worn these rejuvenators may not help. But using a solution on them 2 or 3 times a year will increase the useful life tremendously.

Drome.

Reply to
drome

when the "metal bit" wares, wiping performance is poor, even with new blades. they do indeed ware. However, you can buy those most likely bosch refills anywhere, probably next to nothing in price online too.

Reply to
taxman

By the "metal bit" I meant the mount for the rubber. It's purpose is to support the rubber and make its pressure uniform over its length. I cannot really see how this part can wear. Uneven pressure is not a problem for my arm which is 5 years old. If lowered pressure of the wiper on the windscreen is the problem then what *should* be replaced is the powerful spring at the base of the arm however this is never offered or suggested.

To summarise, I cannot really see how the metal bit can ever need replacing, other than to boost MB's profit.

Have not been able to find Bosch 25 inch wiper blade rubber on-line.

Reply to
Nihil