e430 died again, more info

Hello again. I am trying to get some more info before I take it to the dealer so I can keep from getting ripped off. Here is a little more information. The times that it has died it had only been running for about 10 minutes. Both times that it died, it was when I stopped. After it died, it would crank but not fire up at all. The last time it died, it took about 20 minutes before I could get it to start. After it finally started, it ran perfectly.

I have tried all 3 keys and it did not make any difference. Someone at another dealership that Mercedes roadside assistance called suggested that it could be the "crankshaft position sensor".

I hope this additional information helps. I will be taking it to the dealership in the next couple of days, but if there are no codes and it is running I don't think they will have a clue.

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

Reply to
GME

Oh, oh, I'm afraid it's off to the dealer. I know how you feel, I cringe every time mine goes in even for a routine servicing.

The system might have stored a failure code, however if it didn't flash a "malfunction code" on the dash I'm not sure. IMHO, yes, CPS would be a logical place to start looking, but it could be something as simple as a loose ground somewhere, too.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Same scenario two months ago with my CLK, and it was the CPS.

Paul

---

---

Reply to
Paul Hyndman

Thanks everyone. I think that I have the most incompetent dealer and need all the help I can get.

Reply to
GME

From my experience all MB dealers start at the incompetent level and work down from there. ;-)

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Not all, but many...

Little story from Germany: Went into a Mercedes-Benz Niederlassung at the beginning of the week (a dealership owned by DC themselves) and asked for a new service booklet for a W124 (old booklet ends at 200 TKM). No, they can not give a new booklet - maybe(!) if the next service is done at them, but otherwise...

Went to a smaller MB dealership yesterday (not owned by DC) and got it immediately and for free.

Seems DC still has no clue how to treat customers...

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Thanks for your help. I just got it fixed. It was the CPS as far as we can tell. With the advance knowledge, I am sure that I saved money. It only cost $220. Thanks again.

Reply to
GME