Early 240D Engine Replacement

I would appreciate any opinions and information on the best strategy for replacing OR overhauling the 616 engine in my 1974 240D. Better to replace or overhaul? Can one still get a factory replacement for this?

Randall Brink

Reply to
Randall Brink

Here in Europe you can still get OM616 engines from MB - it was not only used in /8 and W123, but also in MB100 vans and busses plus many, many years in the widely-used

207D vans and busses (Sprinter predecessors). Also it is still used in India in various new vehicles from

What I personally do doubt is that the cost for a replacement engine from MB is in relation to the car's worth - so I would go the overhaul route, that's IMHO _much_ cheaper.

Juergen (OM616 in his W123)

Reply to
Juergen .

No 240 engine is offered so consider a five cylinder. Other alternative is a used engine but many of the used 240s are bought for non-automotive uses so the supply may be tight.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Meeeeeeeeeep! ;-)

It is, see 15th row from top in list for /8

Just curious: What are they used for?

Juergen (using his OM616 in his W123.123)

Reply to
Juergen .

I definitely like the 5 cyl.--had them in my 300s and it's probebly one of the best M-B engines, IMHO.

But if I read it correctly, there is a short- and longblock offered in the info you pointed me to, for the 616.916.

Randall

Reply to
Randall Brink

old 240 engines are sometimes used for generators, refrigeration, boats etc.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Quite right, I missed it. Hope that site helps you.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

That site of wonderful. Thank you!

Reply to