760 Engine replacement questions

I have an '85 760 turbo Automatic whose engine is on it's last legs. I would like to keep the car but wonder what options I have as far as replacing the engine.

Does anyone know if I would be able to put an engine from another model/year or would that entail too much headaches as far as replacing computer modules and so on???

the current engine has 370k on it and a few valve guide seals and burnt valves i suspect. I can get a exchange engine for $700 but who knows hoe long a replacement would last as it is not necessarily a rebuilt engine.

Is it worth it tome to rebuild my current power plant?? Are aftermarket rebuild parts easy enough to get???

I appreciate any info you have!!

Fanceydave

Vancouver

Reply to
fanceydave

Would you recommend replacing the older Garrett turbo with a newer Mitsubishi turbo at the same time as the engine swap?

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

I like the Mitsubishi in my 740 better than the Garrett in my 240 for everyday driving, however the Garrett is a better choice if you want significantly more than stock power. For a stock engine the Mits is a bit nicer because it spools faster.

Reply to
James Sweet

There's no difference to the physical layout of the motor. Newer cars have a different fuel injection, flywheel pickup instead of hall sender in distributor, but all the "old stuff" from your motor will just bolt on and work. No modifications necessary.

Reply to
Mike F