fram oil filter

Hi everyone,

I was out of town when I did my last Oil change and I noticed that they put an orange Fram filter instead of the usual Black BOSCH or MANN. What is the difference (I noticed that FRAM is WAY cheaper) and will that do any harm?

Thanks.

Karle

1988 MB 190e 2.3 360000 KM (and still in perfect shape!)
Reply to
nikki

It is the matter of availability. I prefer Mann, Hengst over Bosch and other brands... If you mail order your filters, you will find it even cheaper. You just need to find a Canadian online part supplier to avoid custom fee.

Reply to
Tiger

I used a Fram filter instead of Bosch for a number of oil changes and after a few of these (more convenient to get filter) I found my oil pressure not maxing out above idle or even high rpm ..... scared the h... out of me since I was in the middle of nowhere. Continued to drive and all seemed OK .. no funny smells etc. eventually got home and changed the filter. what happend it appears is that the bypass valve opened ..... this has never happend to ME with a Bosch ... so caveat emptor as usual.

cheers

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

It's not just availability. Fram doesn't filter as well.

Reply to
marlin

OK, but not as good, IMHO. You'll never notice the difference - the engine's life may be shortened by less than 1%.

As it's now installed, and if you are concerned, you may want to consider moving up the next oil change, say to 80% of the usual interval.

It's annoying to be given an unrequested substitute BUT the shop charged only the FRAM price!

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

"It's annoying to be given an unrequested substitute BUT the shop charged only the FRAM price! "

I don't think it's even an unrequested substitute. In general, when you take your car in for service, unless you specifically request certain parts, they are free to use whatever aftermarket parts that they choose. I do my own oil changes on the MB, but on other cars I've taken in to repair shops, I've never had any expectations of what particular manufacturer's filter they would use.

Reply to
trader4