Fuel Dampner 380SL

Hey guys, I've been trying to solve a problem wth hard starting when my car has been driven and allowed to sit about 15 minutes or more. I've been told that it is possibly the fuel accumulator. I pulled the rubber hose off of the back side of the accumulator and had a steady stream of fuel coming from the fuel dampner. Is this normal?? Or do I have a problem with my fuel dampner?? Help!!!!

Reply to
Wes Curry via CarKB.com

From the dampner means the diapraghm is ruptured. Just make sure the gas from the skinny hose you removed is not really coming from the 3 way connecter.....

Reply to
Karl

What 3 way connector are you talking about? The gas coming from the skinny hose is coming from something that has a big hose coming into it, then has a big hose going into the fuel pump and the skinny hose goes to the accumulator.

Reply to
Wes Curry via CarKB.com

Replace the accumulator and fuel filter and your problem is solved.

Reply to
Benz450SL

The thing that has two big and one skinny hoses connected to it is the fuel pressure damper. One big hose feeds into the intake of the fuel pump, the other is coming from the fuel tank. The purpose of the skinny hose is to give fuel that might leak through a defective accumulator diaphram someplace to go, i.e., into the low pressure fuel supply. If you disconnect the skinny hose, fuel will run out of the damper until your tank is empty or you clamp/plug it. To test your accumulator, disconnect the skinny hose from the accumulator and plug or clamp the hose. Connect another hose to the accumulator and put the other end of that hose into a container. Start the engine. If there is fuel coming out of the hose connected to the accumulator, replace the accumulator. DO ALL OF THIS OUTSIDE WITH A FIRE EXTINGUISHER HANDY. If your accumulator is ok, you have a harder-to-diagnose problem. Let us know.

I suggest that you post your questions directly to

rather thanthrough carkb.com, since carkb.com is simply grabbing this newsgroupsposts. Also, get a service manual (currently available only on CD).E-Bay has them.

Reply to
M. Davis

So, then, if I understand correctly the fuel is supposed to run out of the small hose? I will try disconecting it from the accumulator and plug it off to test the accumulator as you have suggested. Thanks for the info. Wes

Reply to
mgwd76114