fuel intector replacement

Hello.... I posted and earlier thread on the board. Im now wondering how hard it is to replace the fuel injectors on my 89 mercedes 300E. Someone said I could have a leaky injector that leaks overnight or while sitting for a while. Is there anyway I can find out wich injector is bad? Thanks for all the help- Charlies- MOnmouth County nj

Reply to
Chuckyg

Absolutely.

This is what happened to my E320. Cold starts were perfect. But after being driven and standing for say 30 min to 4 hours it had a delayed hot start - crank crank crank etc. And then started with a stench of unburned fuel.

I found one spark plug was wet with fuel - that was the cylinder with the "bad" injector. As the car had done only 37K miles I had only that injector replaced. Its perfect now, after the repair.

Fuel injectors can be ultrasonically cleaned of fuel deposits and tested by specialized shops, but a leaker due to a bit of rust inside must be replaced. A Google search for "fuel injector service" should find a shop in your area.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I replaced the fuel injectors on my 1987 300E a month or so ago. Easy two hour job. The air cleaner housing and some rubber hoses must be removed to get to the center ones though. Takes a couple of end wrenches to unscrew the fuel line from the top of the injector, unbolt the securing bracket with an allen wrench (then climb under the car to find the little allen bolt you will drop!), pull the old injector out with just your fingers, slip the new one in and screw the securing bracket back down, then reattach the fuel line and snug the bolt. By injector number 5 and 6 it will take less than 5 minutes each. Fire it up and check for leaks. You shouldn't need to bleed the CIS System to get it to start. Just cycle the flapper plate with your hand with the ignition on if you have trouble getting it to start.

I ordered injectors from Performance Products. Real Bosch injectors in original Bosch boxes. My early 300E didn't need the six rubber o-ring seals they sell with them.

Reply to
Pete Cowper