How do I test Mass Airflow Sensor (MAS) Engine 104.992 (3.2L)

I have a 1993 300E 3.2 with a 104.992 engine that recently started acting up on me. The "Check Engine" light is NOT on but when I start the car cold, it starts and idles fine but after about a minute or 2 the idle races and oscilates between 500-1500 RPM cycling in 1 second intervals then the idle becomes rough and the engine eventually stalls after 5 seconds of rough idle. Then when I restart the engine, I get a rough idle then it stalls immediately. Now, just recently, the engine does not even stay on for more than 2 seconds. When I start the car, it idles rough for a second or so then stalls immediately.

Here is what I have done to try and correct or diagnose the problem so far:

  1. checked fuel pump relay w/jumpers (no diff)
  2. fuel pump noise is audible when ignition is turned on
  3. checked spark plug (strong spark detected during crank)
  4. replaced OVP .00 (did not solve the problem)
  5. visually inspected vacumm hoses within engine compartment (all's fine)
  6. cleaned throttle body w/ carb cleaner

I would like to test the MAS unit to see if it is defective based on a suggestion from T.J. out of my original post but have no experience in this area. Does anyone have a simple method to test the MAS functionality in this engine? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
kie33