Faulty mass airflow sensor?

Hi,

I have a 96 Ford Escort 1.6, and it has developed rough running. I've only had the car two months now so I don't know if it's recently occurred.

Under both acceleration and steady throttle use the car is hesitant and "lumpy", if feels like power is repeatedly dying for between half a second and a couple of seconds. It's not undrivable but very annoying! I thought the cold weather might be having an effect, but I haven't been able to run the car in warm weather to check.

I'm thinking it's the sensor as I unplugged it and although the car didn't run perfect, it was a lot better. I have run it for a few days with the sensor unplugged and the rough running has eventually returned without plugging it back in- not sure that these two events are necessarily connected!?

From cold the car starts and warms up faultlessly, which leads me to think it's a sensor as once the engine is hot I think it uses the signal from the defective sensor: a split air hose for example would cause the rough running all the time.... I think!

Happy to admit I might be barking up the wrong tree. Any advice please?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Plugs and leads are the first suspects, followed by coil.

Reply to
Mrcheerful