Information or buyers wanted - 1983 280 SL Euro Spec in US - MI

Hi all,

Looking for websites and information regarding SL's that were imported into the US and what mod's were typical of federalization - if a conversion was done at all.

I have an interest in a 1983 280SL. If there are websites for info please pass them along.

Also, if someone is out there looking for this car, I can help get it for you.

The car is in the Detroit area, silver with black interior....more information available on request. The car has 95,000 miles on it and spent it's life in Georgia. I do NOT own the car - yet...;-)

Please pass along all info or inquiries to (please convert to a proper e-mail addy) ganu[at]peoplepc[dot]com.

Thank you

Gary.....

Reply to
Gary

Hello,

I'd avoid those grey import Mercedes-Benz because of dubious or poor compliance to meet the US regulations. In the 1980s, Mercedes-Benz refused to sell certain parts necessary for compliance so the "cottage industry" must either fabricate those parts or slip in the fake photographs in the compliance documentations. Sometimes, the compliance work wasn't properly done. They can be messy to sort out.

Some of them did not carry out the correct engineering work on the motor and emission control system. Hence, leaking and fires are common amongst the grey import Mercedes-Benz.

In the 1980s, the compliance requires the side impact beams in the doors (they were never fitted to European SL), different headlamps (to DOT sealed beam round headlamps), different turn signal relay (to blink faster if one bulb burnt out), different bumpers (5mph collison without damage), raising or lowering the vehicle to meet the bumper height standard, different windscreen (if it's not laminated), side running lamps and reflective markers (amber front and red rear), different speedometer (to denote mph), centrally mounted third brake light (if

1986 or later), closed loop fuel system with charcoal canister (to prevent evaporation into the atmosphere), catalysator, rerouting the fuel lines away from catalysator, ad nauseam.

Regards, Oliver (Speaking from experience of importing the Mercedes-Benz to USA in the

1980s).

Gary wrote:

Reply to
Ennui Society

Great info..thank you - I understand the [lack of] quality with some of the conversion places - maybe YOU did this one and it was done right ;-)

Reply to
Gary