"Euro" model MB 1983 300D (not turbo)

Anyone have any info. on this model. Considered grey market model. Nothing automatic (i.e., door locks, windows, etc.) except transmission. No sunroof. Thanks.

Reply to
Scott Jackson

What "information" are you seeking?

Why buy a 23 year old gray market car when so many US spec. cars are available?

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I would suggest skipping that 'grey import' and look for the 'official import' (meaning the car was built by the manufacturer specifically to meet the US regulations).

During the heady time of 'grey import' in the early 1980s, there were so many discrepancies and variations in the quality and type of conversion work (some were done with OEM components whilst others 'home-made' fabrications). Fraud was rampant during that time (recycling the photos of conversion work done when submitting to NHTSA). Some vehicles caught fire due to poorly engineered and fabricated components. Some failed to perform in the collision as required, i.e. omitted bars in the doors to prevent the intrusion.

If you rather prefer this, you can import any Mercedes-Benz that is at least 25-year-old to the USA without any conversion work to meet US safety regulations. However, you will have to modify the emission control to meet EPA level of the year manufactured.

By the way, Mercedes-Benz USA lobbied successfully to end the 'grey importation' in 1988 as it made a very poor and regrettable decision to omit 500SEL, 500SEC, and 500SL from the US model range. 380SEL, 380SEC, and 380SL were terribly overpriced and grossly underpowered. The grey importation fulfilled the American appetite for more powerful V8 motors...

Another reas> What "information" are you seeking?

Reply to
OM

I don't really care about the politics of the vehicle. I just care about what condition it's in and how much. I understand there "may" be a parts issue, but it depends on who you talk to. I have a mechanic that understands the grey market contradictions as far as what is equivalent between Euro parts and US parts. He also says there is nothing wrong with the car. He suggested I change out all fluids to start fresh, with my ownership. Even the AC is cold. This car is indeed 23 years old and has no rust!! NONE. I have practically dis-assembled it and found no rust, no where. This is a diesel MB with relatively low mileage and it was practically given to me. I wasn't even in the market for the car. What I believed was a deal presented itself to me and I took it. I just wonder if anyone else has one. It seems to be a little rare. Which would be another reason to own it, if the price was right. Thanks. sj0305

"OM" wrote in message news:Lo6dnY_9BoSWNxjZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@pcisys.net...

Reply to
Scott Jackson

All right, politics aside.

Have you really looked at it and see whether it had been modified to meet US regulations or not? That is the issue I presented in my previous posting: it's not only the parts but the work done on the vehicles to meet US regulations. I've seen lot of sorry work done which complicated the repair or the whole matters. Sometimes it was discovered too late, i.e. after the accident...

If that car you are looking to buy has been brought to the USA and registered without ANY modifications to meet US regulations, you're fine.

Suit yourself and buy that car if you like.

Scott Jacks> I don't really care about the politics of the vehicle. I just care

Reply to
OM

what condition it's in and how much. I understand

mechanic that understands the grey market

He also says there is nothing wrong with the car.

the AC is cold. This car is indeed 23 years old and

where. This is a diesel MB with relatively low

the car. What I believed was a deal presented itself

little rare. Which would be another reason to own

5spd 300D w123? If you don't want it sell it to me!

cp

Reply to
cp

Sounds like a good deal. But there's no "maybe" about the parts issue the msot notable being the windshield. Standard North American glass and a gasket will not fit. Euro glass is different. You'll find lots of weird things like this with a euro spec car in the US.

But, lots of poeple cope. Life goes on...

Reply to
Richard Sexton