Is my 60k service needed?

I have a 1998 E320 4MATIC, just turned 60k. I bought the car December of

2003 and at the time (49,000 miles), it was Star Marked. Will I still need to have the 60k serviced completed, or did the Star Mark bring everything up to date? Also- what would the 60k service include if I do need to have it done at the dealer

Thanks.

Reply to
Paddington

"I have a 1998 E320 4MATIC, just turned 60k. I bought the car December of

2003 and at the time (49,000 miles), it was Star Marked. Will I still need to have the 60k serviced completed, or did the Star Mark bring everything up to date?

That would be a new one, having MB do maintenance 11K ahead of time instead of charging an arm and leg for it later.

Also- what would the 60k service include if I do need to have it done at the dealer "

And that is a good question that I wonder ever time I see the sign at the service counter here that says the 60K service starts at around $650. And the operative word is "starts". I'd like to know what the hell these cars require that justifies anywhere near that price. At that mileage, with normal service, all I can see being done would be oil/filter change, air cleaner change, check all fluids, rotate tires, check brake pads, give a good look over for any visible leaks underneath. Maybe they give you a free car wash too, like the Porsche guys, after charging $175 for an oil change. Unless you absolutely have to do it to maintain a warranty, I'd stay far away. And I'd call them and ask them exactly what they do and how much they charge.

Reply to
trader4

Scope of work is in car documents/service book.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

If your odometer just turned 60K you need to do it. Usually this is filter and a serpentine belt... Also checking and lubricating...

Nothing major IIR. Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Nothing major IIR. Marty

Then how come the sign on the wall at the dealership says 60K service "starts" at $650?

Reply to
trader4

It's the dealer?

Perhaps I am completely wrong and they also install solid gold spark plugs?

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

"It's the dealer? "

Yes, the local MB dealer here in NJ where I go for parts occasionally. They have a big sign posted on the wall with prices for the various milege services. The 60K was listed as "starting" at like $650, which was not only easy to remember, but shocking. I agree with you, that one would think that at 60K, the service shouldn't be major. I have a

80 300SD, do most of the work myself and take it to a good local foreign car guy for other stuff, so I stay away from them for service. I would love to hear what they do for that 60K service. IMO, unless it's a true exotic, something is wrong when a car needs that much service at 60K.
Reply to
trader4

Reply to
Dave HD

"The sign says "$650" and is a bargain, considering that if you forgo it, you will be getting hit with $2000 repair bills later. Trust me, I know. I am still paying that one off... Davehd "

Then perhaps you can enlighten us as to what is required by MB at 60K that justifies a cost starting at $650 or why anyone would buy a car that supposed to be well built and durable, but requires that level of service when a Pontiac costing one third the price can go 100K without it? And keep in mind that this is on the wall at the dealer for all MB's, not just some specific models. It sounds to me like it's a way for the dealer to extract more money out of the customer, ie changing things like spark plugs that are still perfectly fine...

Reply to
trader4

Seriously!

I know I just did the 60k service on my wife's Volvo and it consisted of:

1) Plugs (the hard part is finding them) 2) serpentine belt (frickin continental) 3) Air filter and Passenger compartment air filter. 4) Lubricate power antenna, door hinges, hood. 5) check brakes.

That was it.

I am sure Karl can inform us of what makes up a 60K service for a 1998 E320 4MATIC?

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Before you guys jump all over the price of a 60K service, at least answer the poor guys question..... that 98 E class will not need a 60K service. The 15K, 30K, 60K etc services ended with the 97 year model on USA cars.

1998 was the beginning of the A and B services and 'sealed for life' transmissions. The only thing additional needed at 60K is the replacement of the air cleaner element and the fuel filter. The spark plugs get replaced at 100K.

Get out your ma>

Reply to
Karl

"Before you guys jump all over the price of a 60K service, at least answer the poor guys question..... that 98 E class will not need a 60K service. The 15K,

30K, 60K etc services ended with the 97 year model on USA cars.

1998 was the beginning of the A and B services and 'sealed for life' transmissions. The only thing additional needed at 60K is the replacement of the air cleaner element and the fuel filter. The spark plugs get replaced at 100K.

Get out your maintenance booklet from the packet of books that came with the car and look in the back of it. It lists what an A service and what a B service is and what additional work is required at different mileage intervals. "

Which is consistent with what I've been saying, ie dealers are performing service that isn't required. And if they aren't doing that, then why does the dealer here have a big sign on the wall with the 60K service starting at $650 listed? Would seem most 98 and earlier cars would have been past that mileage long ago. Also, it's interesting that the OP seemed to think service was called for at 60K. What was he basing that on, perhaps he can tell us?

Reply to
trader4

Thanks for setting us straight AGAIN Karl!

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph
15K, 30K, and 60K services are services done in that numbers multiple. i.e. a 60K service is done at 60K and 120K and 180K

The 60K service is when all things RECOMMENDED being done is done. If you look at the services required at each mileage, you will see that the trans is serviced every

30K, not every 15K. The air filter is replaced every 60K, not at 15 or 30. The fuel filter is changed at 60K [WAY too long for that!!]

It is very hard for owners that buy a 98+ car with A and B services that traded in a 97 and back car that used the 15,50,60 services to get used to the new system.

All the additional recommended services over and above the A and B are time and or mileage specified and are additional. Brake fluid replacement is 2 years or 30K. Spark plugs are model dependant, the

202 C class was the soonest at 45K, most all others are at 100k. Do we see C220's coming in running like crap at 70-75K miles because the owner just changed the oil and said screw the additional work and did not change the plugs at 45K? You bet, we see it all the time. And 99% of those people have their favorite independant do all the work because they know more than the dealerships and they are honest.... Yeah, right. Keep believing that. 25% of our repairs are to cars screwed over by 'factory trained' independants. Maybe they were 'factory trained' in the 50's and 60's but times and cars have changed. We have a hard enough time keeping up with all the new stuff and changes.

Reply to
Karl

do what you can do your self.

as for the rest at 60K have the dealer do that stuff. don't know if you will get 270,000 miles like my 300SD but it can't hurt

why pay big bucks for air filters and the like

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

No, I don't need to enlighten anyone. I have been enlightened that what was once a high quality vehicle with a great rep, it nothing special and has high cost parts and labor. I will not be buying another MB. They are nothing but a pack of trouble.

Davehd

Reply to
Dave HD