Low mileage 190E vs high mileage 300E

I've been checking out the classifieds for and just looking at some 300E models as an alternative to a 190E (hey before I spend my money I should check out everything). I've found some nice, affordable 300E's for around the three thousand dollar range, but they all seem to have higher miles (140,000 plus). How would a 300E with 150,000 miles compare to a 190E with only 117,000 miles? Assuming both are in good mechanical condition and have been cared for obviously. Would a 300E be too much car for a student seeking reliable transportation to and from college, compared to the 190e? I've yet to drive or look at a 300E so i'm still in the dark about them. Thanks again!

Reply to
Paddington

Henry Kolesnik

Camry or Accord??????????????? Oh I know you didn't go just go there!!!!!!

Go for 300E if your money allows,but ol' rusty will still do just fine!

Reply to
CaptainW116

Well let's not be too negative. I've actually got both, a '89 300E and an '93 190E. The 300 has now 225k km and now needs the FIRST repair, the water pump appears to leak water 'sometimes' can't quite figure it out yet. There will be no leak for a few days and then, sometimes, coolant water all over the floor.... almost seems like the pump needs to stop in a specific orientation before it leaks. Anyway, the 190 I've had for over 2 years and it now needs the tensioner shock absorber replaced (rattles during idle .. this took me some time to diagnose,,, didn't know there was a shock absorber there...) otherwise no repairs (I've got the papers from previous owner) and it now has 150k km. so, there you go. My advice, get the 300, it's a lot more fun to drive....

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

From experience in the family that's not true at all. Unless a person is rich (or a fool) and takes an off-warranty car to a dealer.

That's just too sensible :-)

cp

Reply to
cp

Let's also clarify for Paddington that these are two completely different cars.

The 190 is a smaller car (series W201) than the 300E (W123 or W124).

The ages of the seen cars are not mentioned.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Having both car... I'd rather get the 300E W124

Reply to
Tiger

I ve got them both too Id say if you were my son get a toyota or honda youll save money.

Reply to
Moreno

Camrys and Accords are just aws expensive to maintain. I have spent $600.00 in the last two years for parts on my 300E, only 250 buck of it were for worn-out parts, the rest was from a temporary brain lapse of my son. An Accord of equal price will also be high mileage, and will be in need of expensive repairs (Exhaust system, alternator, starter, etc...)

I prefer the 300E myself, but gas mileage in today's market could also be a deciding factor. You will get a little better milage with the

190, but the 300E is easy to work on, when it needs it
Reply to
thomcasey