older low-mileage vs new high mileage

Which would be a better purchase, a low mileage 2003 (27,000miles) vs a higher mileage 2004 (47,000 miles) Toyota Tacoma? This is assuming each has been properly maintained, are essentially equipt the same, and the prices are about the same.

Norm

Reply to
Norm

Well, if you need to haul sacks of cement and sheets of plywood, the Tacoma is the better choice. But, af all you hauls is a few sacks of groceries, get the Camry.

Your question is alot like, which is better, an apple or an orange. The answer depends on what you want to do. If yo need to make a pie, you'd opt for the apple, if you want juice then the orange would be the better choice (mostly because it is easier to juice an orange than an apple, although it is easy to get aple juice, one generally can't get apple juice without specialized equipment.)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Am I missing something here?

If you plan on keeping the TRUCK go with the 2003. If your going to sell it in the near future go with the 2004 TRUCK.

If you want juice or pies go to the supermarket.

Reply to
Keyser Soze

If I were keeping the truck, which being a Toyota you really want to keep em, I would go for the lower mileage 03.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Bearman,

I guess I didn't make myself clear to those others who replied. You were the only one who seemed to understand what I was asking. If given a choice between buying a Toyota Tacoma 2003 with fewer miles (say, 27,000) OR a

2004 Toyota Tacoma with 47,000 miles, which would be best? Like you I don't know where the hell a Camry came in to the question or the fruit salad comparison
Reply to
Norm

What? He asked about two pickups. He never mentioned the Camry. You mentioned the Camry and then sort of ran with it.

As far as his question, I don't see much difference between an '03 and an '04 and 27k vs 45k miles. I'd go with whichever one has better service records. Either truck has a long, long life ahead of it.

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

Id go with the 03 personally, is the price the same?

Reply to
Scotty

Sorry, it was me that skipped a beat. I thought his options were a Tacoma or Camry. I haven't a clue how I arrived at those options, the Camry is not mentioned in the OP. Sorry for my confusion.

... and, it's you're (you are), not your (possessive form of you).

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I see that. I dn't know howit happened. I don't drink much, but when I do, I drink a lot.

Given the fact that the '03 has fewer miles than the '04, and the two trucks are very much alike, I'd put my money on the '03.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Well as long as we're correcting grammar: "If yo need to make a pie"

It's no yo it is you, unless you were being funny and colloquial. ;)

Reply to
Keyser Soze

All other things being equal, I'd go for the lower-mileage rig.

OTOH, things are rarely equal. If the 27K rig was mostly in-town miles, and the

47K rig was mostly highway miles, I'd be real tempted to go with the newer, higher-mileage rig. Also depends on how proud (asking $$$) each of the owners are of their respective vehicles -- these two rigs are very similar based on the info given, so it's going to be the little things that swing the decision.
Reply to
Andy Hill

Since we're ignoring netiquette and correcting grammar, you should spell check your documents before you post. Spelling and grammar go hand-in-hand, you can't have one without the other and on and on, ad infinitum. Dave

Reply to
davidj92

The 2004 with 47K miles is $3000 less than the 2003 with 27K miles.

Reply to
Norm

I'm not sure which has the most in town driving. I suspect it is the 2003 with 27K They are both being sold by a dealer.

Reply to
Norm

And the 2004 is three grand cheaper? If both trucks are tricked out the same, the 2004 is a far better deal. What differences are there between the trucks (besides mileage and year)? Dealers aren't generally known for charity...

Reply to
Andy Hill

It turns out the price quoted on the 04 was a misprint. The prices are about the same.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Reply to
Norm

Go for the 04 then after a couple of years the 04 will be worth slightly more

Reply to
Scotty

No, I miss the U quite often when I type YOU. I usually have to go back and make sure I typed all of the letters.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Missing a keystroke (you instead of you) is not the same as using the wrong word (your instead of you're). Having said that, you're right, I should spell check my stuff before I hit Send.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland