Synthetic Oil in Possible High Mileage AMC 360

While I realize that the subject of oil has been debated here ad nauseum, I am considering switching to synthetic oil in my '87 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360. The GW has 183K, but the engine is strong and clean, and it is unknown whether or not the engine has ever been rebuilt. I am, therefore, concerned about switching if in fact the

183K is the actual mileage on the engine; however, I am convinced from years of use in other vehicles that a top-grade synthetic like Mobile 1 or Rotella-T is a superior lubricant, and I would like to have that benefit, if possible. It is worth noting that the engine does not leak, and uses little oil, that it does use seems to be bypassing the rings on cold start, and this might be helped by the switch to a better lubricant.

All thoughts will be appreciated.

Reply to
randallbrink

Synthetic will make it past the rings just as easily as dino. The real advantage to synthetic is it lasts longer between changes. Apart from that it's basically the same. The only real benefit I have ever received from running synthetic (Mobile 1) was in sub zero weather the ZJ would turn over easily when other cars were dragging to start. Now to be fair I was running 5W30.

Personally, I would go with a synthetic blend like Castrol Syntec.

The only down side is that synthetics do tend to get out from holes that regular dino doesn't. I've got a front main that keeps dribbling a bit. Just too lazy to do seals on it.

Remember that a "synthetic blend" is nothing more than synthetic mixed with dino. Add a couple bottles of synthetic to your dino oil and you get the same thing. That's how I use up any leftover synthetic or dino.

Reply to
DougW

Hi Randall, The puff of smoke at start up, is are bad valve seals. That are easily replaced using an air compressor to hold the valve in place during the exchange. I've never been sold on "synthetic oil" as I know it's the same oil pumped out of the ground, with another refinery step. I have been happy with Pennz 20/50 for my Bronco 351M with over 350 thousand miles, zero slug, and never had the heads off. Bought a new Cherokee in '02 and switch it from

Reply to
Hughes TrollKiller of scums 24bit & squarewheel

Well said Bill!

Reply to
socks09

That being the case then, perhaps the prudent thing to do is just keep using what I've been using for years (Delo 400) and forget about the synthetic. I have had such good results with Mobil 1 and Rotella over the years in other engines, that I thought I would want to go there again with this one, but I can see now that it is not worth the risk that it will start the seals leaking. It's dry now, so why tempt fate?

If in fact, this engine has 183K on it, i.e., it is the original engine and was never overhauled, I may have an engine rebuild in my future and I can decide on the switch then, after a break-in interval with petroleum oil.

Many thanks, again Doug.

Reply to
randallbrink

Bill:

Thanks. I think a valve seal replacement would be in order, and not too expensive. It may be beyond my capability now that I am using a carport and not a shop. It has been hovering around 0F here of late. It sounds like a good early spring job, after I don't need the Jeep for the snow and before I can get into the lake back country.

Reply to
randallbrink

If you would like to ease into the process, try a hybrid oil first. I havent had a bit of leakage since converting clear to full synth a couple years ago, but mine is a 95 wih only about 130K miles.

Reply to
Lon

I think after reading all of the posts in answer to my question that I will stick with Delo 400, which I have used successfully for many years, instead of switching. One of the motives for doing so was to standardize oils with my Mercedes 300D, which just underwent a rebuild and will eventually be serviced with Rotella-T after the break-in is done in a couple months. But running Delo 400 in the Jeep is no problem, and in fact that is what I have used in three Wagoneers now, and I would certainly not want to bring on leaking, etc., when there is now no problems. As someone her has said, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Thanks again.

Reply to
randallbrink

Not unlike the threats of death and physical violence you have posted?

PKB

Randall, you can safely killfile both cujo and square, they never contribute more than noise to this group.

Reply to
DougW

Go Fuck yourself finally Jewjo... You have something to say about spamming, but you are no better yourself ass f*ck. Every breath you take is a waste of oxygen for real people!

Reply to
socks09

Doug,

Thanks. I suspected as much. I am not going to glorify their posts with any further replies. If it is not Jeep related, I will ignore it. I just wanted to make the point that the infantile posts can be ignored until they start replying and interfering in the normal course of dialog.

Reply to
randallbrink

Doug, don't add fuel to the fire. It only emboldens the Ass Clowns. Ignore them. Better yet, killfile/filter them. It's like they never existed.

Reply to
Jo Baggs

Better yet, killfile/filter them. It's like they

True, but sometimes poking the trolls is just irresistible. I only see "them" when someone quotes a post.

Reply to
DougW