M-B BlueTec Diesel Technology - 2007?

This is the URL for M-B's BlueTec Diesel Technology site in which they describe how it works. It's expected next year on the '07 (updated) E-Class, V-6 CDI diesel.

Basically, diesels' exhaust must be rid of soot and NOx. A ceramic cat can eliminate the soot but the NOx is the hard part. So this technology injects urea (ammonia and water) into the exhaust and a catalyst converts it and the NOx into N and H2O. The website has an excellent BlueTec presentation (aimed at European truck operators) for us diesel voyeurs.

In 1980 when I bought my 300SD, we received a North American directory of diesel fuel stations, I guess in 2007 they'll hand out a similar directory of urea stations - but on a CD for the car's Nav system!

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Um, so if you run out, one can fill with "bio-urea"? ;-) No need to look for clean restrooms at gas stations...

Hmm, come to think of it, now all you need to do is convert the engine to run on methane, and there you have it -the perfect car - run you car on shit by-products, and make it environmentally friendly using piss.

Wonder what the exhaust will smell like though...

Cheers, WS

Reply to
ws

Do you supposed it'd work just to open the hood and pee into the reservoir?

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

and what is the motivation for the average not very mechanically knowledgable driver to maintain this system?

I just with the OM642 ( the V6 diesel I think ) would get here faster and in a vehicle that is really really big.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Hmmmm commercially produced Urea and Urine are not exactly the same products - Urea being produced from Ammonia.

Reply to
Roger & Lorraine Martin