Mercedes 380 SL knocking

If anyone knows, what could be the source? I think it's the catalytic converter, but my friend thinks it's a colapsed lifter. The noise goes away when RPM is raised. Oil pressure is good even in idle. This is a 1983 380SL with some 140-150000 miles. here's a link to listen to it.

any and all opinions.

Reply to
somecarnut

It sure sounds like a stuck lifter. I cannot understand why it goes away when you speed the engine up. The first thing I'd do is go to my local auto store and get an oil additive to free up stuck lifters. YMMV. If it doesn't work, you are not out a lot of money.

Let us know what the solution is. Good luck.

EJ > If anyone knows, what could be the source?

Reply to
Ernie Willson

If I had to guess, it is NOT a lifter NOR the cat. It does remind me of a cracked flex plate (flywheel). Does it change any from cold to hot? Does it still do it at highway speeds? Any other clues?

Reply to
Paul McKechnie

Metallic rattle sounds like the catalytic converter's honeycomb is loose or broken.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

This cat converter sound is easily checked by hitting with a hammer.

Reply to
Tiger

Stuck lifter sound can be drastically reduced by switching to synthetic oil. It will sound alot worse in beginning, but after driving around town, it will quieten up.

Reply to
Tiger

The knock is one per revolution and goes away when engine is accellerated in speed. It comes again at a specific point near idle when deaccellerating the engine speed.

A stuck lifter would to my opinion not go away at higher revolutions that way... just the contrary, and the sound would not be that sharp.

It sound more like something with engine suspension or anything on or near the engine (with some mass) being loose. At low rpm's the engines displacecement due to vibration will be higher, and at higher rpm's whatever is loose will not be able to follow the vibration.

I once had exactly same symptom. It turned out to be the shock absorber for the belt tightener, which had lost its rubber bushing, causing the bolt to knock at the perimeter of the shock absorber fixing hole - only at low rpm's. The sound was difficult to locate, and I too spend a lot of time looking for at stuck lifter.

So, look for something simple.

Reply to
Jens

On May 24, 6:38 pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
somecarnut

On May 24, 6:38 pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
somecarnut

Point well taken, will research some more. Thanks

Reply to
somecarnut

Will try both . thanks, Alex

Reply to