Best Repair Manual?

I have a 1985 300D. What do you think is the best repair manual available? Also, do you have a source for ordering? Thank you Dave

Reply to
cruz_ctrl

MB service manual is the best. No other manuals comes close.

Reply to
Tiger

thanks, tiger. so you wouldn't recommend the Haynes or Chilton? or any of the CD versions on eBay?

Reply to
cruz_ctrl

Haynes is very sketchy and does not cover all the work you could do yourself. I have the Bentley Owner's Bible for the W124 and that is rather better, because it helps you understand how systems work as well as how to repair them. But it isn't a full workshop manual.

Bentley also published an English translation of a manual that was originally published in Europe in the German language. It doesn't cover US models, and it doesn't cover diesels. But where US models are similar to the European versions, there shouldn't be a problem.

There are some CDs of the original Mercedes manual available on eBay in Europe, and probably also eBay USA. They are not official and are therefore not authorised by Mercedes.

Reply to
Bruce

I have been using MB service manuals... paper and CD... I like paper but they are hard to find... try ebay for any leftover MB service manual on paper.

The CD version produced by MB is good alternative.

The CD sold on ebay of Chilton or... er... forgot the name... is not good.

Reply to
Tiger

Definitely MB version (either paper or CD), covering every detail you may ever need. The only missing info I feel so far is the transmission.

Yeah, I like paper too but it is really hard to find. eBay sometimes has used ones but usually expensive, sometimes more than MSRP. Therefore, CD is probably cheaper (which contains multiple books). OE for W123 is around $100. Bootleg on eBay may be less than $10.

Tiger wrote:

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

I bought bootleg MB manual on CD on eBay for $15 or something. It is scans of the paper manual converted to pdf files, that's the technology MB used to create it. It's a backward interface that is clunky to use, but it has everything in it that the entire set of MB paper manuals have. I have both the paper and CD. When I do a job now that I need the manual for I print out the pages from the CD and use those so if I get them greasy it doesn't matter.

Sometimes it is easier to find something using the paper copies of the manuals because the interface is clumsy on the CD. But if I had to do with only one or the other I would opt for the CD.

If you can't find a copy on eBay, send me your address and $15 to my e- mail, snipped-for-privacy@inyopro.com , on PayPal and I will send you a copy.

Reply to
heav