mercedes 82' 380sel

I am trying to solve these 2 problems I have with this car. first, I do not get a kickdown,and it is shifting really fast. Also, the car runs rough and when I shut it off if the car sits more than 2 mins. it is really hard to start. If i try right away it will fire right up. I have replaced the fuel pump relay, and the fuel filter and fuel pump. Hope someone has some advice,or knowledge of this. Thank you

Reply to
ronen426

Hot start problem is two fold... Fuel accumulator (the one above the fuel filter) is responsible for maintaining pressure via spring like diaphragm. The diaphragm will leak as it age. It is easy to test... one side is a rubber hose. disconnect it and if fuel keeps dribbling out... that is it. You have to clamp the big fuel line shut or all the fuel in your trank will drain out if you change it yourself.

The other fold is at the fuel distributor... on the top.. you may see a hex nut or a torx nut. This is called a compensator... you can buy a kit... very simple job.

The shifting really fast is another story... and the fact that you got no kickdown... there is a good probability that your valve body need rebuilding.

Shifting really fast... you mean when you start driving... your car starts at 2nd gear... and then it should have shifted to third and stay there for a while... but instead, it jumped to 4th almost immediately... yep... most likely valvebody.

There is another test you should consider... when you shift from park to R... how long did it take to engage? R to D? Now wait a while in P... and then shift to D... if it takes 5 more seconds... your seals in the tranny are really worn... would need a tranny overhaul soon.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks for the info. About the ax on the fuel distributor where exactly is that located? How do I change it? Also, where is the valvebody located? Inside or outside the transmission? How complicated is that too rebuild? I ordered the fuel accumulator and will try it tomorrow. Is that also the reason why the car runs rough? Maybe you have some more advice or info, thanks.

Reply to
ronen426

Fuel distributor is right under your air cleaner... when you take it out... you will see 8 fuel lines on the top. Do this repair last if you still have hard starting.

Valve body is inside the transmission pan... just above the transmission filter. Non user serviceble... must be rebuilt by tranny guy.

Engine running rough from hot start is normal if you have fuel pressure leak. After you start, blip the throttle a couple of time to smooth out the engine.

If it is still rough, then you probably need your motor mounts replaced... ripped motor mounts exacerbate the problem.

Another possible reason for roughness is bad spark plug wire... check all resistance with ohmmeter... all should be within 1000 to 1500 ohm... and all pretty close level.

Reply to
Tiger

thanks for every thing i did tok to a tranie guy and he say if i do rebilt on the valv bady it wont last very long duz it make sens

Reply to
ronen426

He is right in a sense... Are you the original owner of that car? He is right in the sense that you won't be able to drive another 70000 miles on a valve body rebuild...

What he didn't tell you is how long you probably can get by... maybe 30,000 miles.

The main question is this... when you shift from P to R how long does it take to engage? How about in Winter? Do you feel that car is slipping in gear?

You see... if the car see majority duty cycle in city, then tranny won't last past 160,000 miles... if the car is majority highway, then it might see

250,000 miles.

The question is this... How much is your local shop want to charge you for tranny rebuild? $2500? Most shop I know will charge you this much.

The other question is How much do you want to save? I know a shop in CO... Silver Star transmission... only MB tranny is what they works on for over 35 years... charges only $1100 last I spoke a while ago for a complete rebuild with exchange... A garage might charge you $500 to put it in...Pep Boys charges $300... Either way, you save $1000 here. You can get the phone number from mbcoupes.com under part supplier.

Reply to
Tiger