Mercedes Upgrade Suggetion E-Class or S-Class

Hi everyone,

My parents are owners of a 99 C280, and after 4 good years they are thinking of upgrading to a bigger model, maybe not this year but next year. They are looking at the new E-Class E320, because it fits their price range, however doing some research around, I perhaps realized that it is perhaps a better buy to get a 2-3 year used Mercedes, S430 or S500 with

Reply to
George Bozovic

Camille

Whatever they buy be sure that they choose a car with the extended StarMark warranty. All MB's of the mid to late 90s have had considerable problems that will require extensive and expensive repairs. (wiring harness, AC evaporator, etc). The drivetrains are still as well built as the older MBs but the newer models have all kinds of toys and that is where the major problems are occuring in the used models. A good example is the AC evaporator. It is a 21 hour job because the entire dash has to be removed and replaced, plus you will have the cost of the part. Seems to run around $3,000 for the fix. Again, get a car with the StarMark warranty and get the longest warranty available.

Reply to
Rockman59

I agree. I´ve just bought a S 320 cdi year 2000 from Germany, 36000 km, outstanding condition, 39.000 euros. If I had bought a E class from Finland where I live I´d have to use the same amount of money, the car is something else...highend MB, you simply can´t compare it to even a new E-class. I recommend.

"pkmaven" kirjoitti viestissä news:SCGUa.138250$ snipped-for-privacy@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net...

Reply to
IMS

E-class is a self driving vehicle. S-class is a boss vehicle (you won't driver it yourself).

"IMS" :mTMUa.76$ snipped-for-privacy@read3.inet.fi...

Why do you say mid to late 90's? I hear so many say that the early years in the 140 body (1992-3) were worse than the following years? Also, after the big stuff (evap, wires) are done, do these cars "turn out OK" - like a teenager turning 25?

Reply to
QwestNews

Why do you say mid to late 90's ___________________________________________ Seems that by '98 most of the early problems were solved (wiring harneess, etc) but there are still plenty of things that can and do go bad. Mostly it is the "toys" as I call them...all those extra goodies that you really don't need. Automatic door closers, etc. The drive trains on these cars are still very strong and will last 250K plus miles if properly serviced. But you can rest assured that no matter what make of used car you buy, you will have some problems. MB is no different except that the price of parts is higher.

Reply to
Rockman59