my car dies after 15 min

I bought a 86 mercedes 190E. It starts an runs great for the first 15min. After that it turns off, or while driving the rpm's die then come back, then die, then come back until it does not come back. When I try and re start it does not turn on unless I wait a few minutes. Does anyone know what I need to do to fix it?

Your help is much apprecieated. Thanks

Reply to
jsantamaria

As a test, loosen, not remove, the gas cap. See if it's then OK. If so, the gas tank's venting system is clogged and needs to be fixed - to pass emissions test.

If that's not the problem I'd suspect an electrical component, like the coil, for instance, has a heat related breakdown - OK when cool, fails when hot.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I tried the gas cap loosening and it did not work. The car was driven when purchased from Rhode Island to Arizona over the weekend and started this acting up in New Mexico.

I just noticed when it is ideling and going to start acting up the rpm's toggle from 5k to 8k. When you put it in drive or reverse it turns off.

Thanks for the advise, I will look up how to replace the coil since I dont even know what it is it may take a while.

Reply to
jsantamaria

A friend told me it may be vapor lock and I should replace the fuel filter and fuel pump but I am not sure that may be the problem...........

Reply to
jsantamaria

"jsantamaria" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

YES! I know your problem. If you speak italian...

it's simple to resolve your problem (sorry for my english).

Bye! Marco.

Reply to
Marco.-

Don't replace the coil, I mentioned that only as an example of such electrical parts! How does anyone know if the coil is bad unless its tested??

Marco has given us a lead so I suggest you look at the picture and translate it.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Do you mean the engine revs between 5-8K or that the tach is being wildly innacruate or just plain crazy?

Reply to
Richard Sexton

A kind friend did a computer translation of the technical document - thanks AltaVista Babblefish

The double sensor (or transducer) place on the head of the motor, regulated the corrected percentage aria/benzina based on the temperature of the motor. The sensor finding the temperature of the cooling liquid transmits to the system of injection KE and the apparatus of electronic commando of ignition the necessary data for the corrected fuel feeding. The usury of this particular one above all provokes to a regimen of minimum much irregular one around to the 70 - 80° since the wrong measurement of the data induces the motor to ingolfarsi heavy. In case regimens of irregular minimum avvertissero problems of this kind (, unexpected strattonamenti in phase of march) are advised the substitution of this particular one (see image, arrow). The code of the reciprocation is: 006.542.7717 (attention: the indicated code refers to motor 201,034 of series 2,3-16) the operation is simple and goes made cold motor; the reciprocation costs approximately Euro

  1. -

After reading this and your previous posts I suggest you take the car to an independent M-B shop for repair. This repair is best done by a professional shop.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I am going to change out that sencer and see if that works. If not I will just take it in to a m.b. shop.

I appreceate all of the help and Thank you very much.

Congradulations Italy on the game today they did great. (F.I.F.A world cup )

Reply to
jsantamaria

"jsantamaria" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

I have had your same problem and I have resolved changing that sensor. Good luck :-) Bye Marco.

Reply to
Marco.-

Indeed they did, but have they been truly tested yet? I suggest not

I believe you will need to wish the Italian team much 'good luck' in their next match, they will need it :-)

cheers, guenter

ps what do you predict?

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

France is playing better than ever, after seeing the way they played angainst Brazil today I think they may have a chance. I just hope they change out the players eirleir in the game, they waited too long and let the guys get too tired. Germany is not doing so bad either. But I think they are not playin smart or agressive anymore, they score and try and kill time instead of keeping the stronge pace.

My team is now out so I could only with those two teams luck.

Reply to
jsantamaria