Mustang (Engine wont start after running for a short time)

I recently purchased a supercharged mustang. (2 months ago) When I got home I took it to a local gargage that works on muscle cars and had them check it out. They did a tune up, said everything looked very good. After that, next morning, I did a short drive to gas station. No less than 5 mins. away and the car wont start. Wont turn over at all. Thinking this is an electrical issue or a gas issue. Because the car didn't turn over at all.

So let the car sit for 2 hours, then come back turns over once then nothing. Being that this is me second car, I let the car stay there over night and came back the next morning, no problem.

Starts right up like there wasn't never a problem. Drive it home, turn it off. Start it up again, again no problem. Now two weeks later the car did it again this morning. I know if the car runs for any length of time it is ok. Just short runs don't agress with it.

Any idea...

91` MUSTANG GT CONV SUPERCHARGED 453 rwhp and 487 ft lbs of torque electric cooling fan 42 lb. injectors 255 wabro fuelpump
Reply to
Christopher J. Martin

When you say it won't turn over do you mean the engine won't crank or it cranks but won't fire?

Reply to
Fred Brown

A few possibilities I can think of:

  1. Faulty starter solenoid
  2. Faulty neutral or clutch safety switch
  3. Starter motor getting too hot from engine heat, maybe need heat shield, or high torque starter
  4. Ign switch problem, but not likely
  5. If ign timing advanced can make harder to crank over when hot.(on tune-up did they change timing?)

Next time it fails you need someone to try crank it over and see if you're getting proper voltage at low current side of solenoid (thin wire), then trouble shoot from there. If good voltage then starter or solenoid, if low voltage then neutral switch or ign switch. But if its heat related more likely something under hood, starter or solenoid......Rico

Reply to
Rico

i had a 83 mustang and had the same problem.. go to shopping center and parked it.. wife says, no dont park there... car would not start.. went into store for two hours. came out and the car started right up.... long story, but this was the problem: Battery GOOD...... but it was not being charged enough... and after sitting for a while a car battery rejuvinates itself chemically and that is why it starts up after sitting for a while... the problem with mine was the Alternator Regulator... i had shops chekc it out and they could not find the problem... but i got so tired of it doing this that i went out and got a $35 alternator.. when at the parts place the guy ask do i need a regulator( seperate from the alt. on the 83) it was $10 at auto zone so i get one.. never had a problem with the car since doing this..

Reply to
jim

This happened once on a 1964 Dodge I lived in from 1974-76. The problem turned out to be a bad spot on the armature inside the starter motor. Replacing the starter permantly solved the problem.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Reply to
JD Adams