Need Transmission for 1982-84 Mercedes 300D Turbo euro edition

Need help. My tranny in a 1982 Euro turbo 300d is on the fritz and I need to replace it pronto. Wondering if anyone might have the below transmission. Will pay any reasonable price...but it needs to be this exact transmission (nothing else will work).

Doesn't matter if the tranny you have works, I just need the core.

The part no (located on the transmissions core) is: 123-270-78-01

Mercedes 300 D/CD/TD turbo Euro

Reply to
jasondearen

WHat exactly is wrong with the transmission.? Repairing them isn't rocket science or mysterious. Where are you roughly? THat makes a difference.

Have you looked in

?

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Where are you? I know of an excellent place in the Los Angeles area to get a guaranteed rebuilt MB tranny. Put one in my '81 300D, did their recommended vacuum tuning and it works perfect. Should have changed it out sooner.

Reply to
Ernesto

Question A: What do you mean by vacuum tuning?

Question B: What is the specification for the vacuum (a range expressed as inches of mercury) at the transmission (W126 300SD in my case) when the throttle is at (1) idle, (2) off-idle (EGR valve activated via vacuum switches on valve cover), and (3) full throttle? The vacuum to the transmission is varied by the vacuum control valve on the back of the injection pump by a lever that is linked to the throttle.

The reason i ask is that i received my 300SD back from a garage a while ago after an engine swap. The tranny shifted very harshly. After checking my MB Engine (617.951/2) Manual i discovered that two black nylon vacuum hoses were incorrectly connected. I reconnected the hoses properly, checked the vacuum, and now the EGR valve *and* the transmission work properly. Well, almost. I know that the two vacuum switches on the valve cover leak (as confirmed with my vacuum gauge and the MB test procedure). Unfortunately, the manual is ambiguous about the proper specification for the vacuum at the transmission for proper operation.

Reply to
jch

The answer to both question can be found at

Richard Sexton

Richard,

That is exactly what i am looking for. Thanks very much indeed. Good to know that i can actually adjust the vacuum control valve itself.

Reply to
jch

Is there a similar adjustment on the 126 gasoline models? Mine flares at slower speeds going from 3rd and 4th. Being over gentle...

Reply to
D&JG

Dunno. You rich guys that can afford to put gasoline into these things seldome DIY tranny repairs :-)

I *think* the K1 spring is weak in your tranny and you can replace it in situ with e new and stronger one and assuming yoru clutch packs aren't work this may fix it. But you'd probably want to talk to somebody who knows this stuff better than I do before taking the time to rip into yor tranny. The spwing itself is cheap and you can get them off ebay.

Oh, crap, no, that's 2/3 flare. Sorry.

(regroups throghts). Ok the B2 piston controls 1-2 the B1 piston controls

3-3 (which is why you can actuall drive a car with a broken B2 piston once you get it moving). This is controlled by the madulator valve and there was an upgraded part. Now I'ce changed the B2 piston on my car but coulcn't really tell you where the B1 piston is and can't see it failing to work "a little off" that is if it fails, you have real problems.

I assume you've tried changing the fluid and filter?

If it were me I'd seek out somebody that knows these trannies. It might be a simple fix. SOrry I can't be of more help my expertise is quite limited.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Thanks, anyway. Sold the 1982 126 to a lady cheap ($4k). She's delighted with it and no bother with the gentle change.

BTW "rich guy"??? Wish I was! Had to move out of town to live on 2½ acres with a Daewoo Leganza, Triton utility truck, $40K income, 3 kids, ducks and hens. Country living at its most basic :O)

Don

Reply to
D&JG