"New" 300D

I just bought a 1983 300D and I'm completely charmed by it, but have a couple of questions, if for no other reason than that the car was built in Germany for use in Europe and the owners manual is entirely in German.

What do I need to know about the little idle knob on the dash to the left of the steering wheel?

Is there a separate switch somewhere for the yellow driving lamps?

Will I ever get the turn signals to work?

I've been in and under cars for years but I've never owned a Mercedes or a diesel and I must admit I'm a little out of my element. Translating the manual a phrase at a time on the web is pretty tedious, and I'd be interested in communicating with the owners of similar cars--hopefully in English!

-- Barye

Reply to
Barye Phillips

That is your idle increase knob. Turn it to raise the idle when you 1st start the engine cold.

Turn the headlamps on, then pull the knob out 1 click.

Try turning your emergency flashers on and off a few times. Then try the turn signals.

Reply to
Karl

I do not believe he is has a USA car because we do not have the idle increase knobs after 1980. The idle increase became part of the injection pump in 1981.

Reply to
Karl

I believe the knob is the idle speed adjustment.

Fog lights activated by turning on and pulling out the light switch.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach
  1. What do I need to know about the little idle knob on the dash to the left of the steering wheel?

That's your manual choke.

  1. Is there a separate switch somewhere for the yellow driving lamps?

The fog lamps are lit by first turning on the headlightS and then pulling on the dial

  1. Will I ever get the turn signals to work?

The blinkers are controlled by the hazard flasher on the center console. This is removed by gently prying it out. (I used a butter knife). And you'll choke when you find out the cost of this little gizmo.

Toblin

Reply to
Toblin

Talk to striplin at mbz.org, he'll sell you a good used working one cheap.