New Engine Running but Vacuum System Inoperative Please Help!

I just got my newly remanufactured engine from Metric Motors in my

1982 300 TDT and running. It runs great, and starts instantly (after waiting for the glow plug light to go out) like a gas car.

But for some reason my vacuum system did not come back to life after the engine install. I also installed a new AC evaporator while the car was down. I have a vacuum tester, and I have already tested the green vacuum line to the climate control and it holds vacuum fine.

I checked the pump by removing the main vacuum line with the motor running and closing off the line with my thumb and the pump is sucking like it should.

I connected the tester to the top fitting on the pump shutoff valve and it would not hold vacuum very well there. I also connected to the halfway down the shutoff valve off the side toward the left side of the car and that held no vacuum at all. I did not test the line that runs to what I think is the vacuum advance on the pump below and behind the shut off valve. Is there a combination of connections to the shut off that I can connect my hand pump to to make the shut off actuator operate?

The brown line that runs between the two yellow check valves and then into the firewall does not hold vacuum. That is about as far as I have gone so far.

I am pretty stumped at this point. Any help will be appreciated.

Paul Fretheim

Reply to
heav

There's vacuum at the vacuum pump main connection so the pump works.

Does your car have a separate vacuum pump connection for a small vacuum line for the car's "comfort" system (climate control, door locks etc)? Is there vacuum at that pump port?

How about the vacuum line to the top of the injection pump for the shift modulator valve - is it connected? And the vacuum line down to the transmission - if the box was removed - connected?

There are some vacuum check valves in the main vacuum line that's routed to the brake booster. Suggest you tap these as one may be stuck shut.

Can't keep all the plumbing in mind so that's my best shot.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

Thanks for your reply. I have made some progress. I discovered that one of the vacuum lines to the ignition switch had come off. I put that in place and now most stuff is working, but the climate control vacuum is still not functioning. I am leaving the country for a month and will have to put off figuring out the rest of the problems when I get back.

Thanks again.

Paul

On Jul 13, 1:35 pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to