New S550 in stock at Dealers

I went to my local MB dealer, Rusnak in Arcadia, CA and they had 4 base model S550s available. There wasn't any waiting list because I could have taken one of them--if only my 2005 S430 lease wasn't underwater. :-( They had two Alabaster White and two Iridium Silver cars. The only add on was US$500 for Sirius Satellite radio. There was also a US$10,000 market adjustment but I was led to believe that this could have been negotiable.

I would have expected that all these cars would have been accounted for from waiting list orders. Maybe sales aren't as brisk as MB would want them to be. Also, there was a 2005 Maybach 62 in the dealer showroom. Why would an old Maybach still be sitting there? Did someone order it and default on payment? Maybe MB & Maybach sales are really hurting that's why they were willing to talk to me.

By the way, there was no trunk closing handle. Am I supposed to leave my handprint on the trunk lid when I close it? How crude!

Oh, I wish I could have driven home with the new S550 and be the first one on the block to have it. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Ricky

Reply to
RickyE

Press the button and the trunk closes.

Reply to
Karl

button or not, you are kidding .... right?

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

No.

Reply to
RickyE

"I would have expected that all these cars would have been accounted for from waiting list orders."

Dealers put cars on order too - that's why there's a waiting list!

"Maybe sales aren't as brisk as MB would want them to be. Maybe MB & Maybach sales are really hurting that's why they were willing to talk to me."

Who else was there for them to talk to? That's their job!

Everyone's a prospect.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I didn't see any remote closing buttons. I looked in the area by the latch. Also, I didn't like the way the trunk is opened. There's a latch that you pull to open the trunk, unlike my 05 S430 that has a button by the license plate lights which pop open the trunk (as long as your keep your face away from the trunk lid or your face will be bashed in by the trunk lid).

Reply to
RickyE

That's interesting because here in Coeur d'Alene, ID we are getting in a lot of CA cars and cheap. I just purchased a 2002 E 320 for $20,000 preowned by the CA DMV in La Jolla.

I had to laugh at your comment because I had a simliar experence and complained to the service manager about the trunk lid not closing...adjusted too tight. He came out and closed it with no problem. Then I saw the problem, to avoid getting my fingerprints on the paint I was slightly depressing the button that evidently caused the problem. I've had that habit because with all my Porsche's I would always be careful and either press on the badge on the hood, etc. on the engine compartment lid. ;-)

I finally gave up and put my hand on the top of the trunk and no longer have the problem. But I polish the trunk more often now. :-P

Reply to
James O'Riley

In article , James O'Riley

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Hey, you just hit on a point I've had trouble with, hood closure. The driver's side on my 2002 E 320 has the same malady. Generally all I do is open the hood, curse a bit, and SLAM it closed. But I'll try your trick and maybe I can clean up my language and not be so rough on the car. I have the owner's manual and will do a look-see.

Reply to
James O'Riley

[...]

I saw one last night "in the wild" on the freeway on my way home. It was two lanes over, so I didn't get a good look at it, but my first impression was that it was an attractive car. The color looked to be "Pewter metallic."

In AZ, it typically takes a week or two to get your tags in the mail, so new cars are usually driven with temporary plates until the tags arrive. This car already had its permanent plates, so it was at least a week or two old.

--Paul

** Note "removemunged" in email address and remove to reply. **
Reply to
Paul Wylie

I test drove both a new S550 and a CLS500. I liked the CLS500 better and traded it in on my 2002 S500. I also thought the CLS500 was a better value as well. It's a V-8, has a 7 speed tranny, has a huge trunk and looks great. It's a real head turner everywhere. Three weeks old and 600 miles it's just great.

Reply to
DaFlaBear

The V-8 engine used in the CLS is on the way out. Development of the current production CLS engine/transmission combination has been halted. By 3,000 miles nearly all of the new 7-speed transmissions develop persistent and dramatic shift problems. Many fail outright. Technical solutions of one degree or another have been released for all lines except CLS. Germany refuses to spend the money to provide a solution for CLS because of the drive train development halt.

This week MBUSA promoted their chief warranty auditor. Mr. Dirtl now has unchallenged and total control of the entire aftersales effort in the US. That means that MB pays the same guy to provide "world class" service to MB owners and simultaneously reject warranty claims. BTW, he was promoted by the guy who decided not to spend the money to solve the CLS transmission shift issue. Best of luck.

Reply to
Rob

Whats an S550? We get S55's (AMG) here in the UK The dealer I use supplies a lot of them to consulates and they have a good supply of them as recent used, returned from those contract hires (same price as a new C class). I have often been tempted.

What is the difference between an S55 and an S550?

Reply to
Gordon Hudson

S550 is just the new model # for the old S500.

" Tomorrow is promised to no one".... Walter Payton, 10/7/84.

Reply to
DaFlaBear

Thanks, I will keep an eye open. So far its still S500's that are for sale here.

Reply to
Gordon Hudson

Gordon, Are they the 2007 new model or still the same old body style?

Reply to
DaFlaBear

Rob, My CLS500 was built in January 06. It seems they have gotten the kinks out as my shifting is very concise and smooth at 681 miles now. Only complaint is that local gas mileage is pretty bad at around 14 mpg. I am getting the published 22 or 23 on the turnpike though.

Reply to
DaFlaBear

In the '06 S500, the button is red, and on the right hand side of the underneath, forward portion of the trunk lid. Yes, one DOES need to get their face out of the way, as the lid drops the first 1/3 pretty quickly.

To the OP - Phoenix also has several '07 S550s, including black. Didn't see any Maybachs on my last trip, however, but did spot an SLR.

Hunt

Reply to
Hunt

Here's one blowed up. Blowed up reeel goood.

John M. '94 E320 safe in the garage

Reply to
John Mauel

Hi, not exactly on the original topic but still about the remote trunk lid closing feature: does it control both opening and closing the lid or is opening arranged by the standard spring operated system and closing separately with this remote trunk lid closing system?

What I'm specifically wondering is how does the remote closing system survive from winter when the lid may sometimes get frozen and should not be opened by force. Should be fine if opening was spring operated, then you can manually open the trunk with appropriate force, or leave it closed if too badly frozen. Perhaps there is sufficient force limiting even if opening was not similar to that with the standard spring operated system.

In case the systems are different in different models, I'm specifically interested about the W221.

Reply to
Me