Heavy Karl Says New S Klass in 07

Stopped by Heavy Karl's store to look at the new CLS. Big - er - small

- well it is a disappointment. It is a CL on an E klass frame and it is tiny. So I asked about the new S class and when it is coming out. Sales guy said in 07. I said that it is really due out this fall as an 06 model. So he went in and asked Heavy Karl himself I guess, and came back out with the info that the new model will be a 2007 and will be introduced in the early summer of 2006! I said that the internet has different info, and he said that the internet info is wrong. So will it be out here in the states this fall or not? And will it be bigger than the current miniS?

mcbrue under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue

I can't tell you for the US - but world presentation will be at the 2005 IAA International Motor Show in Frankfurt, Germany, which begins with press day one on Tuesday, September 13th. Sale - at least for Germany - will start in October.

Juergen

mcbrue wrote:

Reply to
Juergen .

Let's remember its REALLY only the early spring of '05 - despite M-B's releasing the '06 E350. The '07 SXXX models will probably be released in the spring of '06. That leaves the question of when will the '06 S class be sold? They have a few leftover '04 models that are being pushed out the door and their '05 models are being discounted $4,500 during February '05 - perhaps the '06 will be buy one get one free!

The new "S" model will come in two sizes: SWB with a 3.7L V-6 and LWB w/ two (larger) V-8s. (These are the ones for McBreu.) The car will be a bit larger, yet lighter, and have a better OS (operating system for its electronics). Probably more like a Macintosh than a PC!

So hang on Mc Brue, next spring your itch will be resolved - either with an S470 or a Lexus LSXXX.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Well if it starts selling in October in Germany, and in the spring in the US, maybe I should go over to der FatherLand und buy one there und hav it shipped back? Would they give me a discount to buy it over there? But suppose I get there and it is still like a roller skate that has to be strapped on - maybe I should just go ahead and dump this relic which has 129500 miles on it now. But what to buy - maybe a SUV, but NOT from MB cause theirs are worse than the S Klasse for eating up billfolds.

mcbrue in the trailer down by the river under the bridge

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue

Well McBreu, I almost bought a '04 S430 with 5.8 years of extended warranty for a only a bit more than the cost of a new '06 E350 w/ 5 years of warranty. Miffed that the S430 was snapped up before I had my act together. Now I'm waiting for the '07 E350 or '07 E320 V-6 CDI if it's sold in California or possibly the '06 or '07? S370 S-Klasse SWB V-6 (even though it strikes me as a price point filler). Whatever I buy will have a full warranty for my term of ownership - M-B can take the risk of building an unreliable car, not me.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

G-Class...G-Class...

Reply to
Randall Brink

My understanding is that 3,7-litre V6 motor (based on 3,2-litre 18-valve motor) is phased out in favour of all-new 3,5-litre 24-valve V6 which is now fitted in several models, including SLK.

You will have to deal with homologation of S-Class to meet US regulations. The homologation is not cheap and swift. You will have to locate the registered importer who is willing to petition with NHTSA to homologate the W221. Since the US version of S221 would not be availabe for six months, the registered importer must fabricate the components such as headlamps, airbags, etc. EPA certification is easy $100.000 if the motor and gearbox combinations had not been certified by the manufacturer yet. Europa USA spent $10million in homologating and certifying the G-Class in the late 1990s only to have Mercedes-Benz rescinded its decision against importing G-Class for the model year 2002.

Why do you...'hav (sic) it shipped back'? The W221 is manufacturered > Well if it starts selling in October in Germany, and in the spring in

Reply to
OM

Even though mcbrue lives in a trailer and I am usually ready for a laugh at American English I found his phrase pretty straightforward and not 'funny'.

I would probably have phrased it similarly. Obvious, innit?

Cross the pond, get a car and ship it back home, no?

(Tour the factory, drive around Germany, CH, Austria etc before shipping, maybe? Very nice idea...)

That is if a US-version can be ordered before the car is officially supplied to the US. If not, do it anyway for the sheer fun when available later.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

So whut duz y'all mean bout gittin a laugh outta my english! We'uns talks raight fine english what is more'n ah kin say fer y'all over thar!!!

mcbrue coreckly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue

Yes, he says so - but is it really true?

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

My theory is the trailer is behind his mansion and he owns the river and the bridge too.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Quite so!

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

For the sake of this discussion it is.

There's also a Larry under an oak tree (I think he is/was in this NG).

If you like, I am in a hut by a green shrub overlooking a cherry sapling...

While we are in our 'rural' environments we are all using notebooks with a wireless internet connection connecting via satellite...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I wish. I'm miles from anywhere at home and use a 28.8K dialup. There are no other options here.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Genesis of sign off - at first, some people thought I was a troll. So I live under a bridge! And there was this fat character on Saturday Night Live (an American humor show appearing late evening on Saturday). The character was a motivational speaker who would get all wound up and then conclude by saying he "lived in a van down by the river". So it just sort of all came together, so to speak. The river, bridge, and trailer have from time to time taken on certain allegorical meanings also. As to where do I reallllly live - well, it is true - in a trailer, down by the river, under the big bridge. And them ole boyz in thet hughe bak seat iz partying on rite now! Of course last nite in Charleston I did see Baker's new Maybach on the street in front of the beanery usns wuz agonna eat at! And it did look fine! So maybe I will have to transfer membership to the Maybach ng.

mcbrue consideringtransferingly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420 - (And when we all used to list our cars, I would list things like my 1961 hoe, 1976 shovel, 1984 rake, 1995 keyhole saw, etc.)
Reply to
mcbrue

LoL.

DAS