oil pressure gauge pegged out

Hi All,

Picked up an '83 300D. Oil pressure guage pegs on high when above idle. What could cause this??

Reply to
Andrew

I need to pick up a good detailed maintenance manual for an '83 300D. What do you folks recommend?

Reply to
Andrew

Good oil pressure.

This is normal. It should be pegged when cold started and should drop to about 2 when idling and hot.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Normal

Paul

Reply to
Paul

A properly running engine. Oil pressure should peg as soon as it's off idle. If it doesn't you have a problem. Pressure at idle can be anywhere except pegged depending on the oil and temperature.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Perfectly normal. On my 81 300Tdt there is actually a clear line that runs from the filter housing through the firewall and into the dash.. Filled with oil, I reckon. Sort of strange, but it does seem to work.

Tweaks

Reply to
tweaks

There are CD-ROMs (that lack an index) and paper manuals FS on ebay. The latter are the way to go if you're serious, IMHO.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

After looking at the CD I just ordered out of curiosity, I'd be inclined to agree. You certainly get what you pay for. The CD is close to worthless.

Reply to
You Know Who

Reply to
marlinspike

I ordered a complete set of books from my MB dealer. As I recall they were over $100 for the 3-book set but they have info on everything but the auto trans. I've pulled the AT in my wife's 300D and replaced one set of clutches and one band but the real brain-twister is the valve body. There are 13 or

14 different valves in that thing and I can't remember how many steel ball valves are involved but it sure isn't for the faint of heart to work on those. I cleaned the entire valve body, reassembled it using a single exploded view that had been copied several times before I got it but was shocked when everything worked! Been more than a year now and still going strong.
Reply to
Ernie Sparks

You are brave... I salute you!

Reply to