Paint peeling off of valve cover C230K

I have a 1999 C230 with 75,000 miles, and the paint is bubbling up and peeling. It looks really nasty. In some parts it's flaking off. What causes this?

How much would it cost me to have a new valve cover replaced?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
VIPERS969

Usually the heat did this... You don't replace it... you have it repainted with high temperature paint. You can do it yourself if you want. Car will be sidelined while this is being done.

Reply to
Tiger

Yup, my BMW 540i has the same problem.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Low

I went to the MB dealership, and they stated this happens. Don't know why. They have seen it more with the Kompressor motors. They wanted $200.00 for a new valve cover! I'm going to get estimates for a repaint.

Yup, my BMW 540i has the same problem.

Reply to
VIPERS969

It's almost certainly due to increased heat - the V8 in my car is stuffed into a pretty packed engine compartment; making for prolonged exposure to a hotter environment. The Kompressor should also increase heat.

They wanted $200.00 for a

Actually $200 is not bad if labour is included - consider what 2 hours of labour plus paint may cost. The difference you find may be negligible. But in the end, the paint may peel again. I think they should really have used an aluminum cover.

I've decided not to bother with my BMW. I've seen many, many similar valve covers in other E39 V8s and it's the norm.

Try popping the hood every time you get home. That also helps to protect the plastic radiators from similar degardation. I suspect it is compounded by prolonged "cooking time". The makers have all gone to cheaper, lighter plastic parts that eventually fall apart from heat damage.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Low

No valve cover is that cheap with labor... I believe he meant just the valve cover... one... for his engine.

Opening your hood may seem like a good idea... but it is a hassle and wear and tear on your hood shocks like on BMW and some MB.

Reply to
Tiger

I have a theory that the heat damage is mainly done after the engine is turned off. In my BMW, the fan shuts off immediately when the engine is shut off so the engine compartment is no longer ventilated.

When the car is in motion the air in the engine compartment is at least refreshed by draft and fan action. The other things degraded by the heat in my BMW are the plastic radiator and the left Xenon ballast (too close to oil filter housing) - these are problems acknowledged by BMW.

In my case I think eventual hood shock replacements would be a very small price to pay for avoiding unnecessary heat damage. My shocks are still fine after 6 years. The hood is very easy to open and close. I often use a hood bra so I have to pop the hood anyway as I don't leave the bra on the car once I park.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Low