Propane injection

I have a 1977 240D and I live in the mountains.....needless to say it struggles to get up hills....is propane injection a logical solution to increasing horsepower......if so .....are there kits for this or is this a build it your self system . If it is a build it yourself what are the necessary componets and where is the best place to find them..........DRC

Reply to
drc

Nah, not really. You'll et 1-2 better mpg and it might seem a little bit less slow.

You live in a mountain. You need a turbo. (no you can't turbo a 240D)

Reply to
Richard Sexton

"Richard Sexton" wrote: You live in a mountain. You need a turbo. (no you can't turbo a 240D)

Well...... you can, I have seen people do it and then ask me why it has less power. The turbo needs fuel enrichment to be added to the additional air. Additional air with same amount of fuel = no additional power. Additional turbo in the air intake passage = less air getting into engine until turbo comes up to full speed and then you are back to close to original power....

Then, if you jury-rig a way to get fuel enrichment, you now have to figure a way to stop all the engine oil leaks because you now have over-pressure in your crankcase. And you need to figure a way to oil cool your super-heated pistons......

A 300D turbo block is totally different from a 300D naturally aspirated block.

Reply to
Karl

power. The turbo needs

amount of fuel = no

into engine until

way to stop all the

need to figure a way

OTOH, and I don't know if you have a W115 or a W123 240D, but there were turbo versions of each, albeit one year only for the W115.

Drop in a new engine. Course, that's probbaly more expensive that buying a 300D with a turbo... but you have options.

Turbocharging a 4 cylinder 240D engine aint one of them though :-)

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I think you miss the point of why a turbo *maintains* the power of an engine at high altitude. Air is less dense the higher you go and therefore a given volume has less oxygen. A turbocharger actually compresses the air to the same pressure whatever the density of ambient air so air entering an engine that is turbochrged will be uniformly dense whatever the altitude and will therefore have a more consistent oxygen charge in relation to altitude thus maintaining power output. Some diesel engines also have altitude compensating valves on the injector pump which work automatically.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Yeah we call those "some diesel engines" "turbomotors". The Barometric compensation device is affectionatly referred to as the "ALDA".

At any rate the OP is correct is saying you can turbocharge a 240D but it'll only last about 20 minutes before it blows up.

It's not lke this hasn't been tried befre. Now if you said you'd done it and it worked, great, but it appears you're guessing with somebody else expensive car and motor. I know this is usenet where guessing is a tradition, but it it were me I'd say "I don't know but I think..."

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I made no comment on the suitability of a particular engine for aftermarket turbocharging.

FWIW my opinion is that spending any money whatsoever on such a shed of an old technology and aged vehicle is not warranted and certainly wouldn't consider turbocharging it for a second without breaking out in uncontrollable laughter. My view is now absolutely plain to you, is it not?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Pull the motor and retrofit a GM 4.3 V6. It will probably cost you less than anything else discussed here.

Reply to
Kevin L. Bray