Re: Wheel Bearing

As for adjustment. You should just be able to feel a slight movement as you rock the wheel with the wheel on (holding opposite edges of the tyre [i.e. roadwheel on]).

.... Rob.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (karma-kanic) wrote:

> Can anyone here recommend which brand of Wheel Bearings are reliable >> especially for W126 300SE front? >> I have replaced twice within a year (Front Wheels), what caused these >> bearings damaged so quickly? >> >> Thanks >> Jeff > > >How are you adjusting the preload? Improper adjustment or dirt in the >bearing/hub are about the only things that would cause premature >failure. > >You need to leave a slight amount of play in the bearings at final >adjustment, or the bearing will be too tight after they heat up. > >Dave
Reply to
Rob. Smith

Use a bloody dial gauge like it says in the manual and a weighed out amount of MB grease like it says in the manual. You can't eyeball something this critical. Some people do and get away with it - but they're doing just that,getting away with it.

You can't mix grease types, if there's old grease in ther and it's mixed with new grease you're in big trouble.

Reply to
Richard J. Sexton (At work

Here, hear Richard! I totally agree. The correct method is with a dial gauge.

Josh

that,getting away with it.

Reply to
Josh

Sorry about the bad link. Try this one:

Josh

Reply to
Josh

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:20:06 -0700, Josh wrote (in message ):

That one isn't appropriate for setting MB's bearings. Spec is 0.0008 (eight ten-thousandths), and the above gauge has resolution of 0.001 (one thousandth).

Try surplus equipment houses. That's where I bought mine for about $20.

Good luck,

Reply to
DaveC