reattaching mercedes star hood ornament

i have a '58 180d. i just bought a new hood ornament spring from millers and now i'm trying to figure out how to reinstall my star. the spring has different hooks on each end. one hook is longer and doubles back on itself more, the other hook is almost more of a "C". i removed the base that the star fits on so that i can work on it more easily. i have a couple of questions: 1) which end does the longer loop go on, towards the base or on the bottom of the star? 2) how do i get it hooked on there? i hook the star first and the grab ahold of the other end by sticking a needle nose pliers through the base, but the spring is too strong and slips out of the plier's jaws before i can pull it down far enough. any suggestions?

Reply to
rwcmick

I had the same (or very similar) problem with my 81 300TD. Basically, you have to pull very hard on the bottom until the two sides of the clip are INSIDE the diameter of the circle that drops into the hole in the hood. Mine came properly configured, and I PROMPTLY messed it up by fiddling with it. After about 20 minutes of the exercise you describe, I was finally able to get enough downward pressure on the spring to "c*ck the trigger" again.

I had to hold the medallion in one hand, the star in the other, and had my daughter compress the two clips with a pair of channelocks opened wide enough to get around the pair. My hands were sore, buI managed to get it done without damaging the ornament.

After that, the medallion will only go into the hood one way, I believe, and after that you pull down on the spring and the two clips pop back out and locks it into place.

Good luck, hope this helps!

Reply to
tweaks